FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Three or Four Fingers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Three or Four Fingers Reply with quote

((Okay all,

So... I was taking a look at the fan-art cat-Vanessa pinup, and I realized that cat-Vanessa has four fingers. Which made me wonder, are four fingers tricky to draw or something? It seems like a predominance of the anthropomorphic (or however you spell that word) art the characters have three fingers and a thumb. Well... now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of comic art uses three-fingered hands. So... is it tricky to draw four fingers, so artists tend to draw three?

Anyway, just some morbid curiosity.))
Hoshiginiro

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think getting that forth finger in there is harder then just doing three. i'm sure if it wasn't so hard to draw, the Disney characters would have four fingers and a thumb.

CafePress
FurAffinity
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question has popped up a lot in the furry fandom and the reply most artists give is that it is just easier to draw three rather then four fingers. Especially in animation.
Terminus: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239198#239198

We are grey. We stand between the star and the candle.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/brigwyn/
Eechironin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, the #4 is considered unlucky (like western #13), so they always draw a full set.

Most (non human) Disney are 3 finders, even the costumes that run around in Disney parks.

"That which is denied becomes that which is most desired, and that which is hidden becomes that which is most interesting. Consequently, a great deal of time and energy is spent trying to get at what is being kept from you."-John Denver
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that it's easier to draw, and in furry artwork, it doesn't really look weird or wrong, I think. I'd probably find it weird to see artwork with humans with one less finger. I've never really given it much though, though, so I may have seen it and just paid any attention to it.

Constance Mayflower's diary

The Mayflower Diaries
Evan_Himmel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for japanes animation haveing charicters with four finger instead of old american average of three. the reason being is that some people get skeaved by people with less fingers becuase some one with three fingers on his hand might be seen as being in the Yakusa.

let me explain the reason. One of the ways a member of a Yakusa pay for a screw up would be to cut off a finger (the pinkie finger being the usual) wrap the severed digit in cloth and present it to the higher up that was pissed off at them. (thou the movie Ichi the Killer had an interesting take on it, when the guy cuts off his own tounge.)

I still rember one artical about japanes parent groups getting worryed over a claymation cartoon about a mail man. The reason being, he had three fingers, so they worryed that he was part of the yakusa. But then agean parent watch dog groups are usualy goofy in the head to begin with.
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan_Himmel wrote:

I still rember one artical about japanes parent groups getting worryed over a claymation cartoon about a mail man. The reason being, he had three fingers, so they worryed that he was part of the yakusa.

That was a British animation called Postman Pat. I recall some groups in America getting upset over one of the Telly Tubbies because he was purple, had a triangular antenna on his head and carried a handbag/purse. Convincing these groups that the character was gay!
Terminus: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239198#239198

We are grey. We stand between the star and the candle.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/brigwyn/
Evan_Himmel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tearlach wrote:
Evan_Himmel wrote:

I still rember one artical about japanes parent groups getting worryed over a claymation cartoon about a mail man. The reason being, he had three fingers, so they worryed that he was part of the yakusa.

That was a British animation called Postman Pat. I recall some groups in America getting upset over one of the Telly Tubbies because he was purple, had a triangular antenna on his head and carried a handbag/purse. Convincing these groups that the character was gay!
Oh yeah, the internet had a feild day with that one. also that is the reason why i said that groups like that are usualy loony in the head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1