FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Inspiration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nihon-na

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Inspiration? Reply with quote

Just a question for all the writers here (as well as everyone else). What inspires you? Do you find it from one certain thing/subject?

I hope to get some more inspiration from all of you ^_^
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspires us... how? Do you mean what inspired the characters we use here? What inspires us to get out of bed and go to work every day? What inspires us to plot world domination using cybernetic-zombie-squirrels? What inspires us to be silly? There are so many ways in which one can be inspired that I'm afraid I must ask you to narrow it down a little please.
nihon-na

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*laughs* sorry for being so vague *bows* well what i meant was what inspires you to do your favorite things? be it writing, taking over the world with cybernetic-zombie-squirrels, drawing or painting.

And just a side question, what inspired your personas here?
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I enjoy writing I'll start with that. Most of what I write is science fiction drawing inspiration from a wide range of sources. Just about anything really, as I can point to books, movies, TV shows, video games, etc where I have found ideas that I like and henceforth decided to use. I also feel driven to write because I end up with too make ideas rampaging around my head like bull elephants on PCP during mating season and if I don't get them out then I might just go crazy. Maybe. Sometimes I like to write poetry (and no, I am, in fact, straight) in order to both express sentimental ideas and to challenge my vocabulary. As much as I would love to draw I'm afraid my artistic skills are not up to par. I didn't even pass Stick Figures 101. Be that as it may, I still find that I enjoy doing rough sketch-work from time to time, just don't ask me for anything more complicated than an eye. Most of the rest of my hobbies I do to fill what would otherwise be time spent staring at a wall except for SCUBA diving. I love that with a passion because it's not just fun and exciting but because it's amazingly fun and exciting. And because I like being on/in the water. It's also as close to the true weightlessness of being in space as I'm likely to get.

As to what inspired my persona here, I think I covered that in the topic concerning his history but since I'm feeling long-winded at the moment I'll happily recap. The character was originally created for a Steampunk themed story which is more or less defunct now and since I didn't feel like making yet another new character for the forums here and Xeb was the closest fit to the Bon Bon setting, I simply altered a few details and adapted him for life here. His name, Xebulon Burke, is one I remember seeing one an old history textbook I had during high school. Zebulon Burke (the real person's spelling as I recall) was an explorer around the time of Lewis and Clarke but rather than head out west he stayed in the east coast, mainly Virginia. From what I remember there's supposed to be a smallish mountain/hill/bluff/whatever named after him but I can't find any information on either it or him anymore so I have no idea where it would be found.
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracious Xebulon. It seems you've got a great deal of inspiration...an free time. Laughing
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of my job is free time. Seriously, I get more reading done at work than I did during school. And when do you think I get online? Ok, ok, so sometimes I login from a friend's house. It's not like I have a computer of my own anymore, not since the last one lobotomized itself. But yes, I do draw inspiration from a great many types of media. The biggest problem with that is trying to create something original.
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xebulon wrote:
Half of my job is free time. Seriously, I get more reading done at work than I did during school. And when do you think I get online? Ok, ok, so sometimes I login from a friend's house. It's not like I have a computer of my own anymore, not since the last one lobotomized itself. But yes, I do draw inspiration from a great many types of media. The biggest problem with that is trying to create something original.

Sorry to hear your without a computer Xebulon, but its good to see that doesn't stop you from being active around here.

Myself, I try to space out my online time, or else I'll never get anything else done. XD

Speaking of members without computers, I wonder what ever happened to Johnny. Curious I thought he was suppose to be back by this month.

As far as coming up with something original, remember "Theres nothing new under the sun." So don't kick yourself in the head too hard about originality.
kommy
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I draw inspiration from those who came before. The reason I can see farther is because I stand on the shoulders of giants, after all. Cool

Generally, I fret less about being completely original than others, and instead focus on taking old ideas and spinning them around and making something clever out of it.

As for myself... Well, I'm a vixen. I like vixens. I like to keep things simple. Though I absolutely loathe vixen jokes. Which is why I tend to go a little out of my way to appear to erudite, clever, and occasionally a touch ruthless.
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LabrnMystic wrote:
As far as coming up with something original, remember "Theres nothing new under the sun." So don't kick yourself in the head too hard about originality.

kommy wrote:
Generally, I fret less about being completely original than others, and instead focus on taking old ideas and spinning them around and making something clever out of it.

This is true. And just because total originality is impossible, that doesn't mean I want to just regurgitate whatever popular trends happen to come to mind. I know, that's not what you're saying though. Very Happy I at least try to make it interesting, if not totally original.
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the spirit Xebulon. ^_^

kommy wrote:
As for myself... Well, I'm a vixen. I like vixens. I like to keep things simple. Though I absolutely loathe vixen jokes. Which is why I tend to go a little out of my way to appear to erudite, clever, and occasionally a touch ruthless.

Which helps explain why you prefer to be the "bad girl" or "naughty professor" compared to the usual stereotyped vixen, eh?
Tursi
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*laughs* sorry for being so vague *bows* well what i meant was what inspires you to do your favorite things? be it writing, taking over the world with cybernetic-zombie-squirrels, drawing or painting.

Well, rather than squirrels, I once used cybernetic foxes....? (http://www.harmlesslion.com/gallery/weekend1)

(Maybe a little ot/ooc there...)
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its alright Tursi. We all have our plans to take over the world.

Except me. I've always been the Mercenary, so that way I don't have to worry about dealing with people unless told to by my boss.
Sha`Kaar
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy myself a writer, not great, but getting better each story, poem, etc i write. My Inspiration usually comes from the world. Stuff i see around me usually starts a thought, its just a matter of exploring the thought or not.

As for taking over the world, i always figured start small, then go big. Like, start with a small town, then a tri-city area, then a province(or State), country, etc,.. slowly building up till you have it all. Very Happy
kommy
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LabrnMystic wrote:
Except me. I've always been the Mercenary, so that way I don't have to worry about dealing with people unless told to by my boss.

How would you feel about working under me? Average pay, but good benefits, and a higher than fifty percent chance of still looking the same afterward. Unless you don't want to, of course. Cool
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kommy wrote:
How would you feel about working under me? Average pay, but good benefits, and a higher than fifty percent chance of still looking the same afterward. Unless you don't want to, of course. Cool

Well, besides the fact that I'm usually the one of my group who is first to dive right in; how can one refuse to work with you, knowing the type of products you work on? Wink
Foxonian
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest,when I write it could be anything from something on the news to RL drama that gives me ideas.You never can tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1