FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Caroline's All-Access Anime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I know, I'm writing a review so late, but that is because I am writing based on the anime I just watched. It should be very intricate, but I will try to refrain from giving out spoilers. Also note that I do not have special equipment like what Caroline has, but regardless of that, it feels natural to watch anime in the way that history has depicted them: On a Big Screen tv with a dvd player.

Title: Sister Princess

Review:

Sister Princess is a 26 episode anime depicting a young student, Wataru Minakami, as his life changes drastically when a testing error barred him from going to a prestigious high school with his friends. With little choice, he is whisked away to a distant place called "Promise Island". There, he came to find that not only will he be going to school there, but that he has 13 sisters living with him in the process.

Although there are only 26 episodes, Bandai released a second 'Repure' season with an additional 13 episodes, each following the story of an individual girl. I bought the boxset one Christmas during a holiday special event at my mall's Sam Goody's (Buy one anime boxset, get another free). I had originally purchased the season five for my YuYuHakusho collection, and being left with little options, I got this one purely at random. I found the beginning and ending soundtracks to be well fitting to the way they portrayed the characters showing their distinct feelings for their 'Big Brother', and the ending track itself had a luminescant warmth to the heart to those who listen. The way the music played out during any given time, whether happy or sad, gave life to the story as it is complimented with each situation. Although there was nothing special about the boxset, it gave a most distinct impression about a family quality movie that even kids could watch.

For a bishoujo class anime, I found this piece to be quite a charming tale with the way the story played out. Each episode except the first and last pairs of episodes are focused mainly on one individual girl, although there are moments in those where the sisters are always able to share those moments with their brother. There is very little rivalry between the girls, as they seem all to happy to share happy moments with each other, often quoting "I'm happy so long as I'm with my big brother", at least it goes along those lines. Each girl has a very distinctive traits, personality, and quirks to go with them, making each a unique experience as they interact with one another. For Wataru, although he was playing his part in the family reluctantly, due to his shy, yet unsure feelings on the goals he once had to go to the school in Tokyo, he came to grow into it. With each episode, he grew more kind, even though he believed he was not truly doing anything, he inspired his sisters to be the best they could become of themselves. If one could post a picture of himself between the beginning and the end of the series, he went from Supo study geek, to the family elder brother that he grew to become. With the interactions that he had with each girl came a new adventure, making the episodes well worth watching. In the end, I find that even as a bishoujo based show, I grew to love watching the colorful scenes, gifted settings, and loving characters. I'm just glad that this game was not a hentai based one, even though another company made a unique spin-off of the series called: Colorful Kiss.

Overall, I have to say that this anime is nearly perfect, and suited to all ages. I find myself glad to have made the purchase and I have watched it about 3 or 4 times in the two years I had it. The colorful characters and the tears I cried watching it was well worth the time it took to watch it.

Rating: A+
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( 3 x 3 Eyes

Okay, so here goes my third mini-review. I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera.

3x3 Eyes is a 2-part OVA. Part 1 has 4, 30 minute episodes. Part 2 has 3, 45 minute episodes. Both series are modern-occult. The anime itself centers around Yakumo and Pai. Pai receives a promise from Yakumo's father to make her human. When Yakumo's father dies on an expedition in Tibet, she travels to find Yakumo, and have the promise fulfilled.

I have the Collector's Edition 3x3 Eyes. It's 2 DVDs, that comes in an older-style, overwide DVD case. Now such a case would hold upwards of 6 DVDs. The cover-art is catchy, being an evil-grinning, 3-eyed face. There is a chapter-stop insert in the DVD case as well as a sticker sheet. Extras on the DVDs include additional artwork and actor bios .

3x3 Eyes is a very engaging take on Indian and Hindu mythology. I would categorize the anime itself as a supernatural / occult themed OVA. I found the story to be a good take on the idea of "what makes someone human". In some regards it plays out like Pinocchio. I also enjoyed how, almost to the very end, the story teases you about the underlying reason for why Pai wants to become human. The art-style is very late 80s - early 90s, but it has aged well. The set pieces range from a high school, to Hong Kong, to eerie dreamscapes of supernatural locations, all done with a good amount of detail. It also has one of my favorite seiyuu as a main character, Megumi Hayashibara, in one of her first roles. The music fits the occult / supernatural theme.

3x3 Eyes does fall short in a couple of places. One of the downfalls to 3x3 Eyes is in the story itself. Being closer to India, and more familiar with Hindu and Indian mythos, the Japanese writers and directors don't give a lot of insight into the Hindu creation mythology. As such it can be a bit tricky to follow at some points for an American or European audience. Now, the Manga might better explain some of the intricacies of the Hindu creation myth, but the show does not have the opportunity to do so. Oddly, if you're one of the people who reads the blurbs about your Personas in the Persona video game series, you might actually recognize some of the names and places and relationships used in 3x3 Eyes. Another downfall is Megumi herself. As much as it pains me to say this, being one of her early works, at times her voice acting is all over the place. On a technical side, the DVD does show signs of aging. My DVDs aren't laminating or scratched, so I can only guess that it has to do with the coding itself. During darker, night scenes you can see a lot of shimmering and artificing. Especially when there is a lot of action or lightning being thrown around.

In summary, 3x3 Eyes is a solid, occult story.

Overall: B

I'm going to take a break from the alphabetical order, and skip ahead to reviewing Burst Angel next, since that was requested. ))
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Hum.... I guess with the holidays, I'm having a hard time deciding what to review. I'm hard pressed between Ai Aori Aoushi or Love Hina. Can somebody choose one at random so I can review it?)
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Rune174,

Iffn you want, you could do Love Hina. While I've watched Ai Yori Aoshi, I don't have it... yet. I actually have Love Hina... well, at least the newer re-releases that Funimation have done. We could actually give two reviews on the same topic again. Smile

Or... iffn you wanna be really wild, you could start at the end of the alphabet, and go in reverse. Go from Z to A... or something.))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Burst Angel

Okay, so here goes my next mini-review. I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. My copy of Burst Angel is BluRay Complete Collection. The collection features all 24 episodes, in anamorphic widescreen, and a variety of extras such as trailers, interviews, and outtakes.

Burst Angel is a 24-episode series set in the near future. The anime is centered around the mecha pilot Jo of RAPT. Due to the increase of dangerous crime in Tokyo, freelance police units, like RAPT, are hired out for special tasks that are deemed to dangerous for the normal police. Jo is a very capable mercenary and mecha pilot who takes such tasks and accomplishes them with relish.

Burst Angel is an attempt at a modernized cowboy drama. I say "attempt" because... it just... didn't do it for me. A cowboy drama should be something akin to "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", or "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", or "The Magnificent Seven", or even modern remakes like "3:10 to Yuma". Burst Angel's story lacks that certain something that is needed to draw you in and keep you interested in the tale. The character designs and costumes were ho-hum. None of the look of the characters interested me. They just all seemed... generic, or badly costumed. Both sets of voice actors were also just as bland. None of the actors added something to their role that got me hooked on at least one of the characters. The music didn't stand out. And the mecha was too... real. When I see mecha, I expect to see something akin to Robotech or MechWarrior (3026-era). That is, giant, awesome, robots. Not... realistically designed robots. Yes, I understand that giving a robot "skates" for high speed pursuit is more realistic. It just... doesn't carry the level of "awesome" as having your giant robot run around. Now, I'll admit I'm not a big mecha fan. But, a good show still has something that draws you in and keeps you interested. I just never got pulled in during Burst Angel. I watched it because I bought it... not because I couldn't wait to see what would happen in the next episode.

On a technical aspect, the BluRay holds up very well. There are several scenes of bright colors and highly choreographed action that hold up very well. The colors themselves, whether light or dark, are crisp and clean. Audio holds up throughout the series. (And it reminds me I really need to get a 5.1 speaker set for my TV).

Overall, Burst Angel tries to be a modern take on the "mysterious-past" cowboy tale. And... doesn't pull it off.

Overall: D+ ))
cheesecaked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang I got a few Anime ...

Lets see...

Tenchi GXP

Heat Guy J

OutLaw Star

HyperPolice

Iria

Tenchi the Movie

Case Closed.

Thats all i can't think of... but do know i got more.
My Fursona http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=100410#100410

How dare they use casment window designs,
it's so last century ಠ_ರೃ
◕ ◡ ◕
"I'm gonna miss all the things we'll never do.
I just can't believe you left me here alone,
How in this world can I make it on my own?"
Samuel Blackwing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho now, what's this? While I was gone folks started reviewing anime without me?

Great work, both of you. Have either of you ever considered doing video/audio reviews for the series? It's not that hard to get the footage if you have the DVDs, and most PCs come with Windows Movie Maker. All you'd really need is a mic for your computer, and Audacity to record your voice. Maybe a webcam or digital camcorder if you feel like putting yourself on screen as well.
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eechironin wrote:

[quote]
"Eechi" is not, means more like "kinky" and "erotic", however its origin are a mystery.
quote]

((...well, apparently you didn't pay attention during your "Bishoujo 101" class did you. "etchi" or "H" is the shortened "cute" way of saying "Hentai"... as "Etchi" is the phonetic way to say "H".

So... if someone is described as "etchi", it usually is a teasting jest akin to saying, "Geeze, get your mind outta the gutter, you weirdo"

...I still think I'm going to call you Perv1 Razz ))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Sorry so late with this update. My government business trip is being hell on my free time, and my ability to post. Not to mention the local connection here is constantly zorching out on me. Anyway, here are my thoughts on "A Wind Named Amnesia"

A Wind Named Amnesia

I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. My copy of Wind Named Amnesia is an older DVD version put out by the now defunct USMC.

A Wind Named Amnesia is an Original Video Animation. It is an 80 minute OVA. The main focus of the story is Wataru, and his travels from the West Coast of America to the East Coast.

A Wind Named Amnesia is another take on the idea of the apocalypse. Being made in 1990, it very much has the feel of a "cold war" movie. Instead of ultimate destruction by nuclear war, we're told that one day the wind blew... and everyone forgot everything. We devolved back into our basest, animalistic instincts. Only a rare few were spared. We follow the travels of Wataru across this modern wasteland. Along the way, he runs into a mysterious, platinum-blond woman who makes a bet with him. If he can get one person to join him on his trip to New York, she'll reveal a great answer to the great calamity that has befallen the world.

Overall, the story was okay. I like apocalypse movies. I grew up during the cold war, so, for me, the end of the world was a big possibility. I love games like Fallout, and movies like "The Omega Man" and "The Road Warrior". So... I should enjoy A Wind Named Amnesia. I just found it to be so-so a story. The take on the end of the world was new, but... it wasn't "real" enough for me to believe in. The idea that somehow everyone forgets everything... just didn't click with me. So, while I journeyed with Wataru, I couldn't quite jump along with his trip. I hate to put this in, but I need to mention the ending. It's way too heavy on the deus-ex-machina. It just... ends. Wataru's trip is a coming-of-age tale where the ideas of right-and-wrong, the importance of family, the importance of sacrifice, and the willingness to persevere are all good hooks to draw the audience in. However, with the abrupt ending, it just gives the sense that the writer doesn't believe in such things himself.

The mecha, character designs, and color-palette are very late-80s, early-90s; however, they are well thought out and highly detailed. I actually liked how Wataru the mysterious platinum-blond girl looked. The soundtrack and sound effects are also well done. The extras included are trailers to other Manga Entertainment shows, as well as some very-biased primers on anime.

On a technical aspect, the DVD holds up well. Being done mostly during daytime, the colors are solid, and I saw no signs of artificing or shimmering. The sound, on my copy, does fade a couple of times.

Overall, A Wind Named Amnesia is a decent apocalypse tale. Something that gives you a bit of imagination to chew on, but leaves you with too much of a deus-ex-machina ending.

Overall: C+ ))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Hey all,

For those of you who read these reviews and whatnot, I'm going to be doing something a bit different for the next one... mostly because I want to put off revewing "Armitage" until later... *shivers* Elizabeth Berkley as a voice actress.

Anyway, my next review is going to be fore the NuTech bishoujo anime "Angels in the Court"... so, yes, my first adult anime review.))
45dragoons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some one do S-Cry-Ed, princess princess, and kanokon :O
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=139945#139945
Alexandra
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10233
henkcobra
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
((Hey all,

For those of you who read these reviews and whatnot, I'm going to be doing something a bit different for the next one... mostly because I want to put off revewing "Armitage" until later... *shivers* Elizabeth Berkley as a voice actress.

Anyway, my next review is going to be fore the NuTech bishoujo anime "Angels in the Court"... so, yes, my first adult anime review.))

could you give use a link to the anime's please?

My favorite RP please join and dominate me : http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6811&start=0

My FA; http://www.furaffinity.net/user/henkcobra/
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Henk,

Do you mean like online copies of the anime or something? I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm trying to let people know about some of the older anime titles, so they can buy legit copies of them from places like TSRI or Robert's Anime Corner Store.

Iffn you want more info on any of the titles I bring up, most of them are in Wikipedia, or at the IMDB, or at Anime-on-DVD... which I think changed its name.

Anyway, was that what you were asking?))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Again, sorry I'm late with this review. I'm going to have to do "Angel's in the Court" in the next one. For this one, I'm doing Pioneer Animation's "Armitage III: Poly Matrix"

Armitage III: Poly Matrix

I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. Armitage III: Poly Matrix is an older DVD version put out by the now defunct Pioneer Animation.

Armitage III: Poly Matrix is the first two episodes of a 4 episode OVA. It runs 90 minutes long. It is about the Martian police officers Ross Sylibus and Naomi Armitage, as they try to figure out who is killing off Martian androids, and why.

Armitage III: Poly Matrix is a cyberpunk/dystopian future. Made in 1997, it is amongst the first wave of the cyberpunk genre with contemporaries such as Johnny Mnemonic, Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, and Blade Runner. The human colony on Mars that we're introduced too is very regimented, sterile, overcrowded, and inhuman. Lately, crimes on Mars have centered around very high-profile, android murders. Enter Ross Sylibus and Naomi Armitage. Both are stock police-crime story character archetypes. Ross is the grizzled veteran who recently transferred to Mars to escape his old life. Armitage is the highly skilled, temperamental rookie-girl. And, you guessed it, they're assigned to partner up, and solve the murders.

Overall, the story was good. I'm not much into cyberpunk, but I do enjoy a good mystery. Hiroyuki Ochi makes a believable murder-mystery, and sets it on Mars. While heavy on the sci-fi, and cyberpunk, they don't overcrowd the mystery itself, which allowed me to enjoy the story. With one exception. Elizabeth Berkley. Ugh. Armitage, being an android, has a parallel Pinocchio-like story going on at the same time. As such, she's scripted to sound like an older teenager or young adult who's finally coming into her own self-realization. And, unfortunately, Elizabeth Berkley has Armitage acting all over the place. At times she does alright, and as the movie progresses you kinda just accept the fact that Elizabeth Berkley is voicing Armitage... but I never liked it. Kiefer Sutherland does a sweet job as Ross Sylibus, which further shows how poor of a choice Elizabeth Berkley was as the Voice Acting. It's my opinion that Berkley was picked because it was during the height of her popularity after Showgirls. Back to the story itself. The ending is solid, closing off this chapter in Armitage's life, while opening up a whole new one.

The mecha, character designs, settings, and color-palette are very late 1990s; however, they are well thought out and highly detailed. I like how Ross Sylibus and Naomi Armitage look. I enjoyed the futuristic look of the Martian colony. The soundtrack and sound effects are also well done. The extras included are the original trailer for Armitage III, as well as some production notes.

On a technical aspect, the DVD holds up very well. The movie covers daytime, nighttime, urban, and desert settings very well, without any problems with picture or sound. The DVD itself is also encoded in THX, adding that bit of sound power.

Overall, Armitage III: Poly Matrix is a good cyberpunk-mystery.

Overall: B ))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Alright,

Sorry about the delay. I'll have the review of "Angels in the Court" up shortly... hopefully by wednesday at the latest.

Anyway, in other news, would anyone care to give me a hand with this? I haven't heard from Rune174 in a bit... so I'm opening up the position of apprentice. If you're interested, post, and from those people interested, I'll probably pick one at random.))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((*bump*

Yeah, I know... thread necromancy. Anyway, for those of you still intersted in this, I just wanted to say I have done some more watching since the last time I posted here. So... hopefully this weekend I'll get a moment or two to type something up. I really have been meaning to review "Angel's in the Court".))
AlainDaishar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of thread necromancy, as I revive myself from the dead here.
Caroline I'm not sure if you still have the time to still do this, but I did enjoy reading your reviews the last time that I was on.
It's helped me pick up some anime without having to worry too much about whether or not I would enjoy it.
Thanks for the time that you had spent on writing these reviews.
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Looks up-

Hmmm, I need to post a review here soon. I can't be outdone again!!!
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((AlianDaishar,

I think I still have time to do this. I appologize for the delays and all. Right now I'm working on "Angels in the Court", my first bishoujo anime review. It should be up this week, as I'm on vacation, so I know I have time to work on it.))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Speaking of having a review up... finally...

Here are my thoughts on Angels in the Court

Angels in the Court

Okay, so here goes my next mini-review. I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. My copy of Angels in the Court is the boxed set from NuTech. The collection features both episodes, and a variety of extras such as trailers, interviews, and outtakes.

Angels in the Court is a 2 episode bishoujo series based on the computer game of the same name. The bishoujo anime is centered around the girls volley ball team, and their new coach. The girls volley ball team has a new coach, and he has to learn all sorts of ways to motivate them into being the best, volley ball team ever.

Okay, this'll be my first bishoujo anime review. And I'm not going to call it "hentai"... as "hentai" has a very negative connotation to it. Bishoujo is more accurate, so I'm going to use that. Anyway, Angels in the Court is the anime adaptation of the computer game of the same name. Pink Pineapple animated the show, and NuTech licensed it for distribution in the States. Pink Pineapple tends to be of a higher quality anime studio, and it shows. The girls are all drawn well, with two-or-more shading tones on top of the normal color-tone. As an aside, this is an older-style bishoujo anime, so... while it does have plenty of cheesecake, boobs, and buns, it doesn't show anything explicit or oral. It sure hints at it a lot, and uses just about every trick in the book to show such acts without showing them... but if you're wanting to see people swallow or whatnot, you might feel a bit disappointed. Anyway, NuTech took a huge, calculated, risk on this show, and others. NuTech hired adult film actresses to voice some of the characters in the show. So, it was an effort from NuTech to take the scripting a bit more seriously... as most of the other voice actors tend to... eye-rollingly overact in the adult scenes. Still... the dubbing is alright. The adult film stars do well with the eros lines, but... their acting on the rest is about on par with the other voice actors. The show itself is bishoujo sports sentai. The girls volley ball team is struggling in their district, so the school principle hires a new coach to lead the team into a new direction. The team itself consists of some standard girls... the girl next door, the ditsy flirt, the tanned-strong girl, the biker-chic, the long-haired-quiet girl. So... at least one of the beauties should catch your eye. This adaptation of the PC game follows the path of the glasses-girl. So, while it shows scenes with the other girls, most of the show focuses on her. Each disk is double sided. Side 1 is the show itself, and side 2 is full of other NuTech previews. The extras include photo shoots of the adult actresses, and stills from the show itself. The sleeve-box, and DVD sleeves are eye-catching, and have good plot-teasers on the back, though the "black-and-yellow-warning-stripes" are a bit distracting, as are the still-photos of the adult video stars highlighted in the show itself. The price-to-episode-to-disk ratio might turn some people off though too... as each disk only has one, 30-min episode on it.

On a technical aspect, the DVD holds up very well. The colors themselves, whether light or dark, are crisp and clean. Audio holds up throughout the series.

Overall, Angel in the court is a fun, bishoujo sports-sentai anime. The girls are cute and adorable, and at least one should tickle your fancy. The adult moments are fun to watch. The interaction between the girls is entertaining, and watching them come together as a team, while expected, is still easy to watch. It's good, sexual, fun.

Overall: B ))
The Adept
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Caroline you should review a anime and then a remake of that anime. like Full metal alchemist vs Full Metal Alchemist: The brotherhood
or.
Hellsing vs Hellsing Ultimate

Both tell the same story but adding or removing different material. adding new aspects and such. and it would be interesting to see your thoughts on Animes vs the Redone versions of them.
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9549&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
My FA
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theadept/
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((The Adept,

That'll be a bit trickier for me... I only have a couple of shows that I've had to duplicate to get the entire series. For example, have the new Funimation collection of Trigun, but I do not have the original Pioneer Animation version of it.

I could try it with Fate/Stay Night, as I have most of the original series, and the new, thin-case DVD series... and I could compare the volume 1 of Love Hina (from Geoneon) against the thin-case DVD series (from Funimation).

But... overall, I tend to only have one copy of a series... either the original release, or the updated, multi-pack DVD release. ))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Magic Knight Rayearth, Season One

Okay, so here goes another one of my mini-reviews. I'm going to go a bit out of alphabetical order, and jump ahead to one of the older titles I have in my collection. Magic Knight Rayearth, Season One. I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. My copy of Magic Knight Rayearth is the original boxed set from Media Blasters. As such, I do not have the currently available re-mastered version. Oddly, the current edition on MKR is listed as 17+... whereas mine is 13+. Anyway, the collection features 5 Volumes in an enclosed box.

Magic Knight Rayearth, Season 1, is a 20 episode anime from the famous studio CLAMP. It can be argued that MKR is what finally put CLAMP on the map as a legitimate studio and art team. The anime is centered around the adventures of Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu as they are drawn into the magic world of Rayearth. In Rayearth, they find out that they have been prophesized to be the legendary Magic Knights, capable of reviving the Rune Gods, and stopping the evil that has taken control of the land.

I enjoyed MKR. Each time I watch it, I enjoy it in a different way. Sometimes I like how I can notice foreshadowing I didn't see before. Sometimes I enjoy the little touches CLAMP puts into the character design or art. Sometimes, its just the seiyuu themselves that make me enjoy a particular scene. Everything is just right. The intro, the recap of the previous episodes, the end credits. MKR is a fantasy-coming-of-age sentai story. It is set in a magical world, where our protagonists must learn about themselves as well as learn about the world they are trying to protect. The characters are pretty archetypical... Hikaru is the girl who just is full of energy and doesn't quit, no matter how painful something is. Umi is cold, distant, and aloof, but cares deeply for the things she loves. Fuu is quiet, educated, and often the grounded center of the team. All the scripting and plot is done pretty well, making the show easy to watch from episode to episode. Now, be advised, this is CLAMP. And... as a classic fantasy-tale, they do have some pretty, wicked, plot twists. At least, I thought the plot twists were pretty wicked. Plot twists that make you realize just what is at stake for the world of Rayearth.

It isn't perfect, however. Being one of CLAMPs first anime works (others being Miyuki-chan in Wonderland and RG Vega) the pacing can be very hectic at times. There are also a few problems with "deus-ex-machina" at certain points. In addition, the balance between drama and comedy is also not even. Lastly, being one of the first titles licensed for import, it might seem dated to those who have watched later shows which were influenced by MKR.

Media Blasters did a good job with the translation, and the translation notes included in the extras... however, their voice actors were okay. I can listen to them, but I don't like them and I do notice it affects my enjoyment of MKR. I will give MB and the English voice actors kudos on one thing, they did sing the intro and ending music pretty well.

Media Blasters also did include a decent number of extras from music videos, to sing-a-longs, to art from the show, to liner notes. The box art stays true to the theme of the anime, and does give a tongue-in-cheek nod to the D&D fans in the whole "Level 1 - 4" instead of "episode 1 - 4". The box art also "evolves" as the girls grow up too, which I thought was a nice touch. The box itself, wasn't the best idea. Instead of the normal "slip-cover" box, MB went for a fully closed box, which takes a bit of effort to open and close.

On a technical aspect, the DVDs hold up alright. There are times when I could definitely see shimmering and artificing. There are also moments when the audio gets a bit muffled. I did not witness and freezing, stuttering, or skipping, but I have did hear a comment from one of my friends that my volume 3 did stutter a couple of times while they were watching it. Being one of the first anime brought over by Media Blasters, and amongst the first generation of DVDs as a whole, navigating the menus is also a bit of a chore, and it is difficult to see if the proper selection has been made. In addition, there are times where the menus do not work, and pop you back into a place you weren't expecting.

Overall, Magic Knight Rayearth Season1 is classic CLAMP. It has good characters in a fantasy setting, learning what it means to grow up, and what it means to dream.

Overall: A-

p.s. I'll review Magic Knight Rayearth Season 2 shortly. A tale that grand can't be done in one season alone Wink ))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Hey Gang,

Working on my next review, and I was wondering. Would you all want me to review another bishoujo anime, or just whatever I had on my plate. Currently I'm considering putting up reviews for the following non-adult anime:

Magic Knight Rayearth Season 2
Iria: Zeiram The Animation Complete
Blood+

Anyway, let me know. Else... I'll probably just finish with MKR and move onto something else.))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Okay next review. I'm not quite ready to do MKR season 2, so I've done one on another older series I have.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation

I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. Iria: Zeiram the Animation is an older OVA originally from 1994 version put out by the now defunct U.S. Manga Corps.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation is a stand-alone 6 episode OVA. It runs 162 minutes long. It is about the bounty hunter Iria, and her pursuit of the bioweapon known as Zeiram.

Be advised, I have the first printing of it, from USMC. The show has been re-released, so… the translation, video quality, and sound quality could all be different. Not to mention that it could also be edited differently.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation is a sci-fi action-adventure OVA. Made in 1994, it is one of the older sci-fi anime. In the future bounty-hunters chase wanted criminals in lawless sectors of the galaxy. Iria is one such bounty-hunter, being trained by her brother Gren. Mysterious murders across different planets and a drifting ship hint at the escape of a bioweapon known as Zeiram. Iria makes it her goal to hunt this monster down, and destroy it.

Overall, I liked the story. When you look at it now, it seems formulaic. However, when compared to its original release date in the early-90s, it contained some twists and turns uncommon in the genre. It isn't a very deep story, and it does have its stereotypes, i.e. the uncaring corporation, the jaded bounty-hunter, and the street-wise kids who instantly have a crush on the main character. The pacing of the story is good, and it is able to balance adventure with drama with comedic relief as needed. I enjoyed the character interaction, especially between Iria and the rival bounty hunter Fujikuro. At first, the two of them don't get along at all. As the show progresses, you start to understand that Fujikuro has a begrudging respect for Iria he tries to hide. I liked the character Iria. Iria, while starting as a standard, brash, overconfident, late-teens, girl, does develop a lot in the show. She learns her own limitations, and decides what's important to her. It also helps that the seiyuu was Aya Hisakawa, one of my favorite Japanese voice actresses.

The mecha, character designs, settings, and color-palette are very early 1990s. But, instead of having a western-feel-sci-fi, the character designs, cities, and mecha all have an Indian-Arabic-Persian-future feel to them. I can't really describe it better than that. For example, some of the combat droids the corporation sends out look like red djinns. But, it makes the show unique. I've seen a lot of shows with future-tech, but this one stands out with how it gives its tech that sort of southern-asia-feel to it. I liked the character designs for Iria, Zeiram, Bob, computer-Bob, Gren, and the like. They just worked. The soundtrack and sound effects are also well done. The DVD cover I have is interesting in that the cover folds open, giving plot summaries for each pair of episodes. I think USMC might have used the notes they put onto the original VHS boxes. There are no extras, just all 6 episodes of the OVA.

On a technical aspect, the DVD holds up well. The movie covers daytime, nighttime, urban, space, spaceship, and desert settings very well, without any problems with picture or sound. The DVD itself is also encoded in THX, adding that bit of sound power. My receiver listed it as 2.1 channel sound. The menus read, load, and update quickly. There are limited chapter stops.

Overall, Iria: Zeiram the Animation is a good sci-fi adventure.

Overall: B+ ))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Head's up gang, I'll be reviewing Key the Metal Idol in a bit. Then I'll get back and do MKR season 2))
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((I sure hope someone is reading these, as this takes some serious work to do. And yes, I am fishing for comments. Sometimes it is nice to get a spot of feedback and constructive criticism. Anyway, on with the review.

Key The Metal Idol, Vol 1: Awakening

Okay, so here goes my next review. As par for the course, I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. My copy of Key the Metal Idol, Vol 1: Awakening is the DVD release from Pioneer/Viz. The DVD contains 7 episodes, and a variety of extras such as character bios, FAQs, interviews, and artwork.

Key the Metal Idol, Vol 1: Awakening, is the first in a 3-vol series. This volume contains episodes 1 - 7. Volumes 2 and 3 contain the other eight episodes. I'm not even sure if you can get Key anymore… as I didn't see it offered at Robert's Anime Corner Store or TSRI. So… if you want to see it, you might have to go to one of those used-video stores or Half-Price Books. Anyway, Key is a robot given a cryptic message from her late grandfather. If she can make 30,000 friends, she can become a real girl. So, Key moves to Tokyo in an attempt to win the hearts of 30,000 people.

Key the Metal Idol is a very dark blend of the idol/showbiz industry and the Pinocchio story. If you had ever seen "Bright Lights, Big City", you'll get the idea. The idol industry in Japan isn't shown to be vulgar, just.. evil, cut-throat, and dangerous. Such is the world Key is thrown into. Key is a robot… or at least everyone, herself included, thinks she is. And she wants to fulfill her grandfather's last request of her becoming a real girl. And that's where the story takes off. Key is thrust from her relatively sheltered home into Tokyo, where she's beset by forces she doesn't understand. It is difficult to see who are her friends and who are her enemies, as everyone has their own agenda. These first 7 episodes are engaging, well paced, and somber. I will say that Key shouldn't be watched by the faint of heart.

You can tell it is an older anime, as all the guys have broad shoulders and are at least muscular. The artists also use a lot of heavy, dark, black lines as well. The robotics, electronics, and computer stuff is also a bit dated; however, the robotics do hold up well… and they remind me a lot of ideas you'd see in Blade Runner. I did listen to the dubbing a bit, and… it's alright. Not bad, but… it just sounded better in the original Japanese. I will give credit to Pioneer/Viz though, they did re-create the intro and ending music in English. Lastly, the intro and ending are both creepily enchanting. It just has that… odd sort of musical and lyrical sound that keeps you listening to it. Couple that with the imagery that was used for the intro and end sequences, and you find yourself pulled into wanting to see what happens. The cover-art for the DVD itself is engaging, as you see a naked Key trying to bust out of a robotic shell. The DVD also has a double-sided insert with the same artwork.

On a technical aspect, the DVD holds up alright. Due to a lot of the movie happening in the dark, or in "dark-alleys", or done with "computer-screen-glow" there are times when the color begins to wash out, pixelate, or shimmer. But, that being said, the DVD is from 1997 and that can be expected. Sound, voices, and music hold up well, and makes good use of the 2.1 channel stereo.

Overall, Key the Metal Idol Vol 1: Awakening is an engrossing start to what you know is going to be a dark, haunting, gut-wrenching tale.

Overall: A ))
Thorne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cousin has a fabric poster of her busting out of the robot body, its always weirded me out, hope he takes it down before my one year-old cousin becomes aware of it.
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((I know, I know, threadomancy again.

Still, I did promise I'd try to update this a lot more reliably than I had been. Anyway, here is my next anime review.

Magic Knight Rayearth, Season 2

Okay, so here goes my latest review. Again, I'm using my PS3 with HDMI cable to a Panasonic Viera. I do now have 5.1 channel surround sound via a Yamaha speaker-and-receiver set. Though, with this being an older series, it was recorded in 2.1 channel.

Magic Knight Rayearth, Season 2 is a 28-episode (full season) series set after the events of MKR Season 1. It is a fantasy anime, using the theme of an fantasy world as its background. The anime is currently available; however, I have the older boxed sets. As such, I do not know if there are changes between the older release and the newer one in terms of content. The anime itself centers around Hikari, Umi, and Fuu, who are pulled back into the world of Cephiro. Cephiro has not faired for the better after the end of Season 1, and it is up to Hikari, Umi, and Fuu to assist Cephiro's defenders in rebuilding and setting things right. There is a manga series that the anime is based off; however, there are distinct differences between the two. I'll focus on the anime.

I have the DVD Memorial Box Set from Media Blasters. It's 7 DVDs, plus a slip-box for all 7 DVDs. Media Blasters put a lot of extras into these DVDs as well. The DVD boxes have eye-catching, CLAMP, cover-art. Inside each DVD is a full-color slip-sheet with advertisements for other Media Blasters titles. Extras include line-art, textless opening and ending sequences, art galleries, omake endings, out-takes, and directors commentary. Media Blasters pulled out a lot of stops on this boxed set. The DVD covers themselves are eye-catching, and are labeled sequentially using a theme of sleeping and growing up. It works very well. The DVD transfer holds up very well, but it does show up as a 4:3 ratio being an older anime. Media Blasters has also improved on the selection/navigation options on each DVD, making it easier to see what you have selected. Audio for MKR Season 2 still holds up well, and is offered in 2.1 channels, making good use of the center channel.

CLAMP, to me, makes a story I enjoy. And it continues with MKR Season 2. The art-style is very similar to Season 1, but it is cleaned up considerably. In addition, CLAMP also seems to add a number of scenes where they are more ambitious in scale or motion. The world of Cephiro has been redesigned to be the crystal castle of the first season, as well as new visiting ships from other regions. MKR Season 2 was released in mid-1995, and does show a lot of that in the artstyle. The men are still very tall, and more on the bishonen-thin side. They also use very Japan-centric views of other worlds, which is seen in the character designs for Tarta and Tatra, the European boys from Autozam, and the Chinese-esq Fahren. I enjoy the style; however, for those who aren't fond of the way CLAMP tends to draw long hair and gems, it might be less enjoyable. At the time, Media Blasters still only did okay with their dubbing. I'll listen to the dub, but the American Voice Actors are not as good as their Japanese Seiyuu counterparts. In regards to the characters personalities as well, this season goes a lot more into developing Hikari, Umi and Fuu. I found that their development from confident high school teenagers into confident women to be a solid blast from the past. While CLAMP does have its comedic relief characters (in the form of Primera), the minor characters are also given enough screen time to offer their own bits of development and depth. Season 2 offers some character tropes, but no cardboard cutouts.

Season 2's story is a lot darker than Season 1, which is staying a lot as Season 1 had a harsh twist near the very end. The world of Cephiro is crumbling, despite the actions of our heroines in Season 1. Now, our heroines have to deal with three invading armies, and the machinations of Lady Debonair to save Cephiro. The three girls spend a lot of time apart, which forces them to rely on their own talents. This also offers a bit more about each characters foibles as well, letting the story allow for each of the girls to develop ways to deal with their own, inner, weaknesses. As such, I liked the story of Season 2. It picks up where Season 1 ends, and makes for a good conclusion to the entire story-arc. The pacing of the story could use some work; however, MKR Season 2 is still one of CLAMPs original works, so that can be excused a bit.

Season 2 does have its faults. The pacing of the story is jerky for the first half. CLAMP also does over-rely on character tropes at times as well, which detracts from the characters when you first meet them. While MKR 2 Season does balance action, adventure, drama, comedy, and romance fairly well, there are times where the scripting seems forced or quickened. The artstyle itself can also be a bit detracting, as male characters are CLAMP-tall, and everyone seems to have flowing cloaks or hair.

In summary, MKR Season 2 brings you back for all the CLAMP stuff you enjoy. If you've seen some of CLAMPs later works, seeing some of their originals will definitely be an enjoyable experience into their library of story-telling.

Overall: A
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum... I need an opinion of which anime to review next. Should I do FLCL, Naruto, or YuYuHakusho?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5