FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
How important is the popularity of your fursona's species?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Fursonas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: How important is the popularity of your fursona's species? Reply with quote

I have two questions/topics related to species for this thread.

First off, when you created your fursona, did you pay attention to how many others were using the same species for their fursona? If you did, or if you didn't until later on, is it something that matters to you?
There are many members here with canine or feline fursonas, and I sometimes wonder how they feel about it. I've seen many tigers lately, especially unusually colored ones like the white tigers. Wolves are always in great numbers it seems. So I'm just curious how you feel if you have a fursona of such species.

Secondly, how important is it to you to have picked a species that others like? Did it/could it affect your chocie how other people view characters of certain species? Like the ones typically associated with something positive/attractive, or those that may at times be associated with something negative, or otherwise not make people particularly interested?

I'll be around to answer these myself in a bit.

Constance Mayflower's diary

The Mayflower Diaries
BioRust

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good question. To be honest I didn't notice any arctic wolves when I posted mine, but shortly after I noticed UltimaWolf and a few other members with the same species. But all in all, I really don't care about that, even if all fursons were the same species, there would only be slight differences in the RPs (other than excessive pregnancies).
Maxwell The Tiger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I chose a Tiger since I was going for a Rocky style thing, eye of the Tiger etc. Seemed like a good choice.

Another bit would be that seeing as my name is Tony Maxwell... I suppose you can all imagine the nickname my friends bestow on me. (Those asses... I'm Just kidding: They're Grrrreat!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like coming up with unique creatures for fursonas

when i picked a white Bengal tigress for star it was because i was told i couldn't do a dragon and the white Bengal tiger is one of my favorite animals i have tons of pictures of them

then i got creative and figured out how to design a 'dragon' with out it being mythical thats how i came up with medel

Ryan i picked as a dove because there are few avians in the PBB world so i figured one more wouldn't hurt that and Ryan was originally a human/angel mix rp character i made up

CafePress
FurAffinity
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell The Tiger wrote:
Well, I chose a Tiger since I was going for a Rocky style thing, eye of the Tiger etc. Seemed like a good choice.

Hoshiginiro wrote:

when i picked a white Bengal tigress for star it was because i was told i couldn't do a dragon and the white Bengal tiger is one of my favorite animals i have tons of pictures of them

Did either of you pay any attention to the other tiger fursonas? Tigers are very popular, so I'm very interested in whether this might influence people.

The Mayflower Diaries
Maxwell The Tiger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, just thought I'd go for what I liked most and what suited the character.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although the tigers are popular when i picked stars species it didnt really occur to me that there were others ...i just love the color purple and i love white bengal tigers i also actually asked the input of the other people in the forum before i choose i told them i wanted either a tiger or a dragon and i liked the color purple i was told that dragons weret partially allowed so i should go with a white tiger with purple stripes instead of black ones so i figured 'what the heck ill make a white bengal tiger that has purple strips'

CafePress
FurAffinity
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BioRust wrote:
That is a very good question. To be honest I didn't notice any arctic wolves when I posted mine, but shortly after I noticed UltimaWolf and a few other members with the same species. But all in all, I really don't care about that, even if all fursons were the same species, there would only be slight differences in the RPs (other than excessive pregnancies).

There are indeed a couple of arctic wolves. I don't know if there are as many as the grey wolves, as I haven't tried counting them. Still, it's good to see that it doesn't matter to you.

Personally, I did look around to see if there were other mares. Not just in the forum, but also in the comic. I don't know if it would matter to me today, but it did matter back then when I had recently joined and was considering the kind of character I wanted Vanessa to draw. I didn't want a too used species for my fursona, as it was one of the things I was hoping might set myself apart from others here in the forum, and because I wanted to introduce a mare to the PBB comic.

I have given some thought to how others might view mares, but it didn't matter in the creation of my fursona. I know that mares aren't among the most popular characters in furry artwork, but I'm okay with that. They might lose in a popularity contest to other characters, but I feel that's secondary compared to my own appreciation for the species I've picked.

The Mayflower Diaries
Hoshiginiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony wrote:
I know that mares aren't among the most popular characters in furry artwork, but I'm okay with that. They might lose in a popularity contest to other characters, but I feel that's secondary compared to my own appreciation for the species I've picked.
i think Constance is the best addition to the PBB comic *blush* i love mares and if i hadn't seen that you were the only one with a mare i might have gone with a palomino but i didn't want to intrude on the uniqueness of your character

CafePress
FurAffinity
The Adept
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony wrote:
BioRust wrote:

There are indeed a couple of arctic wolves. I don't know if there are as many as the grey wolves, as I haven't tried counting them. Still, it's good to see that it doesn't matter to you.

4 artic wolves
8 grey wolves
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9549&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
My FA
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theadept/
Wolf Stride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had chosen my first furson as a wolf because, to me, it represented seriosness, coldness, etc. I hadn't really noticed that the wolf is a famous species here and as for popularity...i really couldn't care less.

The second furson i made, bore in mind stealth, cunning, etc. The idea of a panther to me meant that he was not someone to be joked with, but the personality portrayed meant that you can toy with him, as long as it is within boundaries.

Popularity isn't something i would really care for, but now that it is a validated point, i would have to think more for any other characters i might make. I was always one to use preference over variety but this has changed that.
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=238903#238903- Wolf & Grimm!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/wolfstride/ = My FA
Corran
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose my fursona's species according to his job. I was planning on making my fursona a fireman and the idea of a dalmation fireman seemed appropriate.

As far as popularity goes I know that most people find dalmations aesthetically pleasing. In Saras case, much more so. Wink
Aaron_Thom
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I chose a wolf is because I like wolves, no other reason then that.
Profile: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=49632&highlight=#49632
Shadow_Twisted
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of my life, creativity has been a large point of pride for me. I hadn't really noticed any tigers other than Avery Caldwell at first, but found that there were several people with tiger fursonas and a few more with the black fur silver stripe pattern. This prompted the color change for the red stripes I use now. Since Samuel's initial conception, there have been more tigers springing up and just as many fading away.

Since I tried to be unique, and one-of-a-kind, new tigers popping up irks me, but what other people choose to create is beyond my control. All I can do is sigh in relief that Samuel is still the only "Blood Tiger" of Bon Bon.

Though species is important to me in the extent of I feel like I'm less original in choice, I figure that there are few enough male avatars with unique fur patterns to feel I can still stand out.
The Adept
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose a wolf becouse i watched the Animated movie Balto. and also for quite the opposite of wolf strides reason
Quote:
I had chosen my first furson as a wolf because, to me, it represented seriosness, coldness, etc. I hadn't really noticed that the wolf is a famous species here and as for popularity...i really couldn't care less.

Wolfs to me stand for confidence, security, extremly friendly and calm and Can always be trusted.

also wolves really arnt that popular as a choice on the pbb forums, i dont know where that notion came frome but there are 3 times more Felines then Canines on these forums wolves just happen to be the more popular choice for them.
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9549&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
My FA
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theadept/
mackwell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i chose a sand lizard as mine. just because they are really quick. so i figured that a sand lizard as the fastest thing alive would be perfect

i have a time machine in my apartment. it's essentially a cardboard box and on the side i wrote "time machine" in sharpie.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, this isn't so much about why people choose the species that they do, but rather if/how they are influenced by some species being widely used or otherwise considered popular/unpopular.

The Mayflower Diaries
Catherine_Puce
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't checked how popular feline where before do my lynx fursona. However, I had read the comic and I had noticed that she would not look out of her place here.

Mes autres idées de fursonas n'étaient pas aussi adaptés.

S.P.P.
Wolf Stride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess that mine are pretty popular but i wasn't influenced wether or not they were widely used or not.
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=238903#238903- Wolf & Grimm!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/wolfstride/ = My FA
Hoshiginiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i does not bug me on the popularity of the species except when the coloring is common place ....symphony if another person showed up and choose to be a brown mare ....would you be flattered or annoyed that the person didn't at least pick another color?

CafePress
FurAffinity
dragonfly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my furson is a cheetah witch correct me if im wrong will be the only one in bonbon why i picked this spices is simple i've all ways loved them.

also it wouldn't bother me if another member picked a cheetah unless they copyed mine.

my FA http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkcollins/

my fursona's details http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9362

ref pic of link the king cheetah http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7618854/
mackwell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a sand lizard isnt used as much in anything. generally i see the basic species. nothing wrong with being basic or anything, but i like to be a little bit different. so i would say that the sand lizard is very unpopular.

which i like Very Happy

i have a time machine in my apartment. it's essentially a cardboard box and on the side i wrote "time machine" in sharpie.
Evan_Himmel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a dog becuase my chines zodiac sign is the dog. But more importantly I wanted to use the Doberman pincher, the reason i chose that breed of dog is do to multiple reasons. The first insperation is a story from the first volume of the manga Pet Shop of Horrors, called Dreizehn. Also after learning about the doberman on meny docmenterys have perked my interest in the bred. As for his personality I didnt want to use an all out A-hole as i have seen in meny fanfiction when it came to dobermans but i also wanted to incorperate the doberman's loyalty, intellect, tendency to notest details, also some of his personality tends to also come from my Gemini zodiac sign as well.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoshiginiro wrote:
i does not bug me on the popularity of the species except when the coloring is common place ....symphony if another person showed up and choose to be a brown mare ....would you be flattered or annoyed that the person didn't at least pick another color?

I can't see any situation where I might be flattered if someone made a fursona similar to mine. If someone new who hadn't looked around here created another mare, and a brown one, I'd probably feel disappointed by the similarity, but there wouldn't be anything to do about it.

If it was someone who had been a member for a while, and who was copying my fursona, I'd be rather annoyed by it and let that person know about it.

and I perfectly understand your point about the similar coloring, though when it comes to the eventual custom avatar by Vanessa, then I don't trhink there's much reason to worry. She is very good at making every character look unique.

and Evan, I'm not sure, but it looks to me like you may have misread the topic of this thread. Smile

The Mayflower Diaries
kommy
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't care less in my decision making. I wanted to be a vixen, warm brown in color, and that was that. Despite being the single most wildly popular species/gender mix amongst furries, I feel like I have done pretty well.

The more hand-wringing and tweaking you do to look more 'unique' tends to make one look either more absurd or somehow blend in with the crowd of everyone else trying to come up with ever more radical color patterns and (to me) headache inducing hybrids and fantastical species. This isn't to say you shouldn't consider quirks of appearance for a character, but remember that less is quite often more.

Besides, there's more to appearance than species and fur color. Clothing, height, subtle fur patterns, the angle of the jaw, the color of the eye, the tilt of the ears, muscle mass, shoulder width, tail length, and even the subtleties of personality than can be conveyed through pose and facial expression.

Don't think, "I want to be a brown vixen, but Dr. Fuchs is a brown vixen so I can't be one." Think, "I want to be a brown vixen, but so is Dr. Fuchs. I should make clear the physical differences between them, such as black on both fore and aft paws, black ears, a lighter white fur color, three inches taller, and she wears light red silk dresses as she's a clerk at a fashionable boutique in town rather than a doctor."
Wallstreet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, it did affect me a little bit. As I was designing Ewan, he was originally drafted up as a red fox.

As I explored some communities more, I felt as though everything was starting to blur, and I wasn't comfortable enough in my writing to think that I could make Ewan's personality stand out among all the other red foxes out there.

I therefore decided to make something I saw less of but still remain in the vein of character I wanted. Otter quickly surfaced. I noticed you seem to see a whole lot less Mustilids in roleplay communities, where male characters are almost always portrayed as a form of predator.

So there ya go, I did allow the fact that otter's were the rarer species in communities to affect my choice. But I stand by it, ya hears?! Very Happy

Who the hell is Ewan Bushmill?
A reference: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7319
AlainDaishar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I created Alain, I didn't really pay much attention to the species that were already in use. I wanted an animal that was known for the traits that Alain's personality would hold. I didn't/still don't really care if people agree with the choice of species. As for the coloring, I wanted it to be as natural as possible, so I left it as the normal fur color.
Leaf
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choice of my fursona was based on what species was most popular. I saw how canines and felines were popular and I wanted to choice a species that didn't follow the crowd and let me be unique. Ultimately, I chose a rabbit species.

It's not very important to me if I had chose something others didn't necessarily like. I do not wish to become another face in the crowd.

(By the way, I originally considered to be a giraffe, but I didn't want to be the butt of many a tall joke.)
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to see all these different opinions. Very Happy

I'd agree with you, kommy, that it's possible to go too far in trying to be unique, but I also think that it's quite possible to set yourself simply by choosing a less commonly used species, if that's what one wants. I think that many here have done just that, without even having to pick some wildly exotic animal types that few have heard of.

The Mayflower Diaries
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice in the vulpine variety was both easy and hard. Easy because I already had them in mind when I joined, and hard because I was unsure if they were very common as selected fursona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Fursonas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1