FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
ENVIRONMENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alley Baggett Forum -> AlleyBaggett.net Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poecilotheria_27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you manage to sneak that post in there so fast? Shocked
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poecilotheria, I assume you are speaking to Rufus??

Anyway....we can sit here and talk about theories all night long. That is not going to solve anything. It doesn't matter where we came from....or how we got here. What matters is...learning to change our lifestyle. We have to learn to live in harmony with our planet. People once lived in harmony with our planet without being a global threat to all living things. Things changed when governments took over lands...and forced their change and their polluting way of living upon everyone.

We are smarter now. We have the capabilities to make amazing change.....like no one has ever imagined. It is possible...but like I said before....we need to rip the bandages off of everyone's eyes and help people to a brand new way of thinking.

AlleyBaggett.Net - The Official Site
http://www.alleybaggett.net
Poecilotheria_27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:

Anyway....we can sit here and talk about theories all night long. That is not going to solve anything. It doesn't matter where we came from....or how we got here. What matters is...learning to change our lifestyle. We have to learn to live in harmony with our planet. People once lived in harmony with our planet without being a global threat to all living things. Things changed when governments took over lands...and forced their change and their polluting way of living upon everyone.

We are smarter now. We have the capabilities to make amazing change.....like no one has ever imagined. It is possible...but like I said before....we need to rip the bandages off of everyone's eyes and help people to a brand new way of thinking.

Yes, I was talking to Rufus. You just type really, really fast. Really fast.

You're right, it doesn't matter where we came from, we're here now.

I was watching TV earlier and seen some dog collar that was worth 4 million dollars. Shocked The priority factor of this country is twisted beyond belief. I agree completely with everything you've said, and taking it into our own hands right now is a vital key in this problem and deserves respect from every person who shares our environment.

Looking at the nature of the human, psychology would probably be the best way to have an influence on people. There are 2 kinds of people, leaders and followers. Although you're completely right about everyone taking action for themselves, it is even more important for the leaders or roll models to take action. It'll start a chain reaction with the followers or fans who look up to these people and want to be like them. They need to stop spending millions on stupid stuff and focus on creating "trends" like you've said to almost fool society into doing the right thing. Most of the world is followers and need to follow.
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post up the link to view video of our Californian forests, The Sierra being deforested. Here's the video. Here's the on line campaign to join the fight.

The main site:
http://forestethics.org

The on line campaign, SAVE THE SIERRA:
http://forestethics.org/section.php?id=35

The video:
http://www.stopclearcuttingcalifornia.org/video/forestethicsgetinvolved.mov

A list of different companies who are selling the wood from the Sierra:
http://savethesierra.org/display.php?modin=60

How you can tour the clear cutting that is going on in the Sierra. Transportation is provided for free:
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/281/t/467/signUp.jsp?key=2367

On the link for the campaign you can view photos and join to become an organizer for a take action day in April. By volunteering you will help expose the truth about this specific company who is clear cutting the Sierra National Forest and pass out information and etc. When you sign up for this....this campaign will send you all the tools/information/tips and etc that you need to be successful on your take action day! If you don't have money to donate.....then at least donate your time. It is only for 1 day and if you could possible just raise awareness....then you've done good. If your action saves trees....then you're done REALLY good!! This is part of the whole ripping the bandage off of people's eyes....thing. I recently asked someone....what will you be doing for Earth Day....and they replied....I will be working. I said...well you could send an on line letter to congress supporting your favorite eco campaign. That costs nothing. That takes 1 minute to send on the Web. Everyone should do something VERY moving/positively different on Earth Day. Earth Day should be every day...but for now let's make April 22 the biggest most beautiful celebration EVER! Start making it tradition to talk about this day with your kids/nephews/nieces and why it's a special day!

AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so excited to be a good looking chick....sporting my cute looking organic t shirts...displaying positive GREEN messages on them...and wearing my organic no major brand Indigo dyed jeans...and my converse look a like shoes...that are made with organic cotton and are FSC certified latex shoes. They have a big FSC logo on the bottom and on the inside. I am so happy about this....because YES....I do want to start a trend. Yes, I do want people to read my shirt and say....she looks good....I want to look like her. I'm going to ask her where she got her shirt. That's when I would say...I got for $9.99 on the web. I would have to also floss my FSC logo shoes Smile

Actually shopping on line is better than shopping locally because...less chance of impulse buying. Also you get better quality stuff on line (USA made and sometimes made from under privileged countries). Shopping on line would also FORCE our local stores to start carrying this eco friendly choices otherwise they will not get shoppers.

My two cents Smile

Poecilotheria_27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're giving me an, Shocked idea...

I'd like to draw you with the "green" look and you can sell the prints with all of the profits donated to the places you linked above. It might not be much, but it'll help. I'll give you the disk with a scan of the one I drew already and you can do the same with that one too. I'm not looking for profit, but donations to the environment would make me happy. Surprised
rufus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poecilotheria_27 wrote:
AlleyBaggett wrote:

Yes, I was talking to Rufus. You just type really, really fast. Really fast.

You're right, it doesn't matter where we came from, we're here now.

I was watching TV earlier and seen some dog collar that was worth 4 million dollars. Shocked The priority factor of this country is twisted beyond belief. I agree completely with everything you've said, and taking it into our own hands right now is a vital key in this problem and deserves respect from every person who shares our environment.

Looking at the nature of the human, psychology would probably be the best way to have an influence on people. There are 2 kinds of people, leaders and followers. Although you're completely right about everyone taking action for themselves, it is even more important for the leaders or roll models to take action. It'll start a chain reaction with the followers or fans who look up to these people and want to be like them. They need to stop spending millions on stupid stuff and focus on creating "trends" like you've said to almost fool society into doing the right thing. Most of the world is followers and need to follow.

Actually, it does matter where we believe we came from , and how we believe we came to be. The notion that we are some sort of foreign visitor, or some sort of su[perior being that us "above and beyond it all" is what does get us into trouble. Beieving that we are somehow special, or extraordinaily empowered or priveledged is the beginning of the idea that lead to poor treatment of the environment.

That's one point. Another thing that is important to understand is the nature of wevolution. I don't know where people get the idea that evolution is progressive, or forward moving, or improvement oriented, or even has a goal. It is not. It simply a change process. It is random. It is the means by which new environments are made, and by which some parts of that environment change to both take advatage of and be used by the other parts. It is adaptation, not improvement.

It is true that political movements are the manifestation of popular desires. But all human behavior is geared toward furthering the successful survival of the human species. Behavior that is not effective at assuriong the survival of the human species will do one of three things. A. Cease to be done, B. Lead to the extinction of the species. (Those two are thenon-evolutionary options BTW). C. Change who/what we are - I.E. make our species evolve.
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poecilotheria_27 wrote:
You're giving me an, Shocked idea...

I'd like to draw you with the "green" look and you can sell the prints with all of the profits donated to the places you linked above. It might not be much, but it'll help. I'll give you the disk with a scan of the one I drew already and you can do the same with that one too. I'm not looking for profit, but donations to the environment would make me happy. Surprised

Wow! What a fabulous idea!! Thank you for being so creative and caring!!! Very Happy

Poecilotheria_27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Actually, it does matter where we believe we came from , and how we believe we came to be. The notion that we are some sort of foreign visitor, or some sort of su[perior being that us "above and beyond it all" is what does get us into trouble. Beieving that we are somehow special, or extraordinaily empowered or priveledged is the beginning of the idea that lead to poor treatment of the environment."

I hope you're not saying that thats what I was saying. In fact, I said just the opposite. I never said we're a superior being, or anything along those lines. In the overall picture of it all, we're primitive compared to the organizational flow this world inhabits. Right up until we threw a wrench into it. I don't understand how evolution would allow this type of drastic negative change to the planet. Evolution, in itself, is an entity organizing the flow of life on this planet.
Of course it matters where we came from, I think what was meant is that the future is more important and needs the energy of our focus. Even more so, our present.
rufus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poecilotheria_27 wrote:
"Actually, it does matter where we believe we came from , and how we believe we came to be. The notion that we are some sort of foreign visitor, or some sort of su[perior being that us "above and beyond it all" is what does get us into trouble. Beieving that we are somehow special, or extraordinaily empowered or priveledged is the beginning of the idea that lead to poor treatment of the environment."

I hope you're not saying that thats what I was saying. In fact, I said just the opposite. I never said we're a superior being, or anything along those lines. In the overall picture of it all, we're primitive compared to the organizational flow this world inhabits. Right up until we threw a wrench into it.

This phrase (bolded above) is exactly descriptive of the issue I'm concerned about. The semantics suggest that we are somehow stanidng separtely to the rest of the environment and are doing things TO IT. We ARE the wrench and we are also what it is being "thrown" into.

I don't understand how evolution would allow this type of drastic negative change to the planet. Evolution, in itself, is an entity organizing the flow of life on this planet.

You need to read some of Stephen J. Gould's writings on the natuire of evolution. Evolution is NOT ORGANIZED - it is random, and chaotic. Evolution is not an entity - it is a process. The concepts of negativity and positivity are human organizatuional concpets. Good for or bad for US. Maybe contemplation of the Budhist concepts of Yin and Yang in balance will assist you to discern what I am saying. For and from EVERY point of view, there is an balanced and equal opposite persepctive.

Of course it matters where we came from, I think what was meant is that the future is more important and needs the energy of our focus. Even more so, our present.

AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALRIGHTY THEN....

So, there's a problem....what's the solution??

It's all about the solutions now.

Who has solutions?? SOLUTIONS, where are you??

Very Happy

Sorry but I'm a solution girl. Anytime I see a problem....I look for the solution.

mt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufus wrote:
Poecilotheria_27 wrote:

I hope you're not saying that thats what I was saying. In fact, I said just the opposite. I never said we're a superior being, or anything along those lines. In the overall picture of it all, we're primitive compared to the organizational flow this world inhabits. Right up until we threw a wrench into it.

This phrase (bolded above) is exactly descriptive of the issue I'm concerned about. The semantics suggest that we are somehow stanidng separtely to the rest of the environment and are doing things TO IT. We ARE the wrench and we are also what it is being "thrown" into.

I don't understand how evolution would allow this type of drastic negative change to the planet. Evolution, in itself, is an entity organizing the flow of life on this planet.

You need to read some of Stephen J. Gould's writings on the natuire of evolution. Evolution is NOT ORGANIZED - it is random, and chaotic. Evolution is not an entity - it is a process. The concepts of negativity and positivity are human organizatuional concpets. Good for or bad for US. Maybe contemplation of the Budhist concepts of Yin and Yang in balance will assist you to discern what I am saying. For and from EVERY point of view, there is an balanced and equal opposite persepctive.

There's got be to be more than that. Why is it that we are self-aware, that we can put a name to our fears, lust for all things beautiful, Alley for example, and are compelled to have it even at the cost of destroying other things. Is it as simple as the size of our brains. If we are superior because of our consciousness, how did it develop. Why are we the only species to have this consciousness? We understand why wilderbeasts jump into the crocodile-infested Nile river; for survival. We are heading there now, we humans. Will we be able to avoid the river or will some of us fall in before we come up with a solution? Or will we jump in and hope a few of us survive to make it to the other side?
mt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
ALRIGHTY THEN....

Very Happy

Sorry but I'm a solution girl. Anytime I see a problem....I look for the solution.

The solution is that we will be pushed into it. Some of us are doing our best, slowly maybe, but heading there. The rest will be pushed or dragged along for the ride. Our best solution is to make environmental preservation a profitable business. I think that is what we are doing now. Sadly, we, as a country, don't have a unified view. Some have no regrets in destroying the future, just as long as they live that comfortable lifestyle. Unfortunately, we have a long list of historical accounts to cite as examples.

Take energy, for example. While the cost of fuel is low, it becomes less of a priority to find alternatives. An animal has to get on the endangered species list before it can be saved. Until then, we let them die off.

I wish it happens in my lifetime.
rufus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mt wrote:
rufus wrote:
Poecilotheria_27 wrote:

There's got be to be more than that. Why is it that we are self-aware, that we can put a name to our fears, lust for all things beautiful, Alley for example, and are compelled to have it even at the cost of destroying other things. Is it as simple as the size of our brains. If we are superior because of our consciousness, how did it develop. Why are we the only species to have this consciousness? We understand why wilderbeasts jump into the crocodile-infested Nile river; for survival. We are heading there now, we humans. Will we be able to avoid the river or will some of us fall in before we come up with a solution? Or will we jump in and hope a few of us survive to make it to the other side?

Who, or what adjudges us superior? Other than ourselves, in our own self-absorbtion? And isn't that self-same self-importance, that collective WE first - simply a manifestation of our own striving for survival?

I suppose my perspective comes from my professional training in psychology, in which I learned that the human mind is very very very clever when it comes to training itself to do things that SEEM at the time to be a good solution to a problem. That is the source of all neurosis BTW 0- such as obsessions with cleanliness, or being a horder. Those behaviors are typically developed as a response to a real situation, but the mind has a tendency to fail to abandion the adaptive behavior once the situation changes.

We become habituated. Those habits will not change - whether or not they are the BEST possible repsonse to a life situation, until they become such a BAD response in terms of prohibiting us from continuing to live we have no choice. I.E., until it gets to be a Learn or Die decision. Poeple are generally more driven toward the comfortable and familiar as a preference.

As far as learning those new ways - the best way to encourage them is through POSITIVE rewards and incentives for the desired behavior, not through negative feedback for the behavior you desire to extinguish.
rufus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
ALRIGHTY THEN....

Very Happy

The solutions are out there too. What needs to change is how the rewards are handed out. It needs to pay to do the right thing(s).
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Rufus.

I think everyone should STOP doing what they are doing right now....and ask themselves...OK what do I consume a lot of (what am I always buying)? Is it baggies, cleaning products, hygiene products, paper plates, paper napkins or etc??? Then you must think of what you can do....to continue to live your life happily but not purchase these items over and over and over again. For example, buy fabric napkins instead of paper ones...purchase small little ceramic plates or bamboo wooden plates instead of purchasing paper plates...use glass/stainless steel containers instead of baggies...use basic DIY cleaning products instead of buying lots of different ones. If you need to use baggies...then don't purchase anymore instead save your old ones and wash them out and reuse them over and over. If you KNOW that consuming less now is better for you and the planet...then YOU MUST do it! I made all the changes that I did....because I felt guilty knowing what was right....and still not doing it. Before it was different because I did not know. Now that I know...I make sure to always do what I know is the right/better choice when making purchases. You might not think the of the BIG PICTURE of the real damage that plastic has on us. BUT the damage is bigger than you think. Did I ever share with you about the plastic beach in Hawaii?? On this beach...the sand is made of plastic particles. If I haven't shared this with you....let me know and I will give you the link to the story and the SAD video.

For everyone out there reading this... I challenge you to start up your own little local campaign. All you would have to do is...make copies of Forestchoice.com store page showing how much their pencils cost and give that page to every school's principal in your local areas. These pencils are FSC certified and cost the same amount as regular pencils. I guarantee you that if principles/teachers/parents knew of this earth friendly option....these businesses that are killing our forests would think about switching their business practice to a more earth friendly one. The thing is that people/businesses aren't aware of these Earth friendly options or they automatically think that the prices are TOO high so why bother looking? It is little things like this that CAN make big differences in how corporations handle their businesses. Also, I just found FSC certified copy paper that is 100% post consumer recycled and does not have chlorine bleach. This is THE BEST kind of copy paper you can find!!! I am buying some and selling reams to my friends and family...to make it convenient for them. Do you guys know the difference between being FSC certified and clear cutting but with re-planting (which happens only some of the time)? Using wood/paper that is FSC certified is SO SO SO important! If you are going to use bamboo, then it does not have to be FSC certified because it grows back super fast. Bamboo is actually the best type of wood to use for anything. It does not need pesticides of any kind. Bamboo is actually the best thing to use for fabric too. Second best is hemp. Third in line is organic cotton. It's SO crazy how every healthy aspect of living has been altered by using synthetic materials/foods. Synthetics is in our walls/carpets/drapes/furniture/insulation/clothes/mattresses/pillows/shoes/cars.....the list goes on and on. Of course some people use the better choices....but it really is impossible to live your life totally unexposed to these materials unless you completely start your life over with purchasing the better stuff and building your home from the ground up, the natural way.

I challenge all of you....to take action in your own lives and make the better choice when making any kind of purchase.

From now on ....all of my lingerie will be organic cotton or fabric that was reused from different garments to create sexy lingerie. I just bought some really SUPER sexy Earth friendly lingerie! Also, if I shoot at a hotel it will be at an ECO hotel. If I have to spend my money on these things....then I might as well spend it on the RIGHT CHOICE, right??

I hope I influence all of you....to stand up...take better care of yourselves and your loved ones and make the RIGHT CHOICE! NOW and ALWAYS.....

AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know scientists are now saying that ALL of our polar ice caps will be gone in 30 years??? If this happens, all living things on our Planet will be burned and gone from the sun's heat. If you are a father, son, brother or husband....then you must think of all your loved ones when thinking of this fact. Would you like to see your loved ones suffer/cook right in front of your eyes? Would you like to see your whole world suffer/cook right before your eyes?? I didn't think so. Nor do I. This is a serious SERIOUS issue!!

Some people might say....it's the planet's natural cycle that it's going through. The planet went through the ice age cycle and now it's going to go through this new cycle of being burnt up. Yes, the planet goes through cycles naturally but humans are speeding up this new cycle. We are speeding it up like a train going fast forward with no brakes. Some scientists even say that it can be reversed. It can be reversed if people stop being the lazy stuck in their ways...people that they've always known to be.

rufus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
Did you know scientists are now saying that ALL of our polar ice caps will be gone in 30 years??? If this happens, all living things on our Planet will be burned and gone from the sun's heat. If you are a father, son, brother or husband....then you must think of all your loved ones when thinking of this fact. Would you like to see your loved ones suffer/cook right in front of your eyes? Would you like to see your whole world suffer/cook right before your eyes?? I didn't think so. Nor do I. This is a serious SERIOUS issue!!

Some people might say....it's the planet's natural cycle that it's going through. The planet went through the ice age cycle and now it's going to go through this new cycle of being burnt up. Yes, the planet goes through cycles naturally but humans are speeding up this new cycle. We are speeding it up like a train going fast forward with no brakes. Some scientists even say that it can be reversed. It can be reversed if people stop being the lazy stuck in their ways...people that they've always known to be.

I think that's a bit of an extreme scenario. The melting of the ice caps will be a seasonal phenomena. They will reappear again in the respective northern and southern winters, and recede in the summers. The difference between now and then is that they don't recede 100% now. They still grow and shrink seasonally. In addition, the "all burn up" result is not likely. There will be added moisture in the atmosphere and less land area. ( both due to a larger ocean surface area). What is more likey is a shifting of the climate zones northward (has already happened to some extent - see arborday.org for revised climate zone maps.) and a "march" of more tropical vegetation (trees, shrubs, flowers, grasses and so on) northward as well. Following along will be changes in habitual ranges of various fauna - birds and mammals. Different farming practices will be required. Different crops will be emphasized.

Not in all cases will the earth simply "dry up" or "burn up". In fact. there will even be places that become colder and wetter than they are now (due to more cloud cover for longer periods of time) while other places will be come greener - due to a warmer, more moist climate.

It's climate change - not climate armegeddon for most of the world. The biggest serious impact on human civilization though will be along coast lines. A great number of major population areas will need to move further inland - uphill. That is in fact, the most problematic part of the whole phenomena.

PS - it is blizzarding where I am at right now. This is also part of the global warming phenomena. In the years past in my life, up until the past decade or so, this late a snow fall would be very rare. More of the snow would have fallen in winter, not so much in Spring and Fall. The effect around here has been warmer, drier Winters, and cooler more moist Springs and Autumns. The climate that used to be typical for this part of the country has now shifted North about 200-300 miles toward Southern Canada. We see our typical population of birds here in Spring earlier, and some that I had never seen as a younger person have shifted both their winter and overall ranges northward.
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting...

I knew someone would say it was an extreme way of thinking.

What I have to say is...Are you willing to role the dice in this by thinking that this scenario could never happen? The problem is....for most of the people who don't believe that this scenario could happen...they are more likely to sit back and wait for others to make the changes in their lives in order to help the planet.

I found out that scientists....not me....are saying this.

Just some food for thought.

rufus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
interesting...

I knew someone would say it was an extreme way of thinking.

What I have to say is...Are you willing to role the dice in this by thinking that this scenario could never happen? The problem is....for most of the people who don't believe that this scenario could happen...they are more likely to sit back and wait for others to make the changes in their lives in order to help the planet.

I found out that scientists....not me....are saying this.

Just some food for thought.

If I could have a link to the scientists talking about the world drying out and burning up - I'll read it.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I am in no way refuting that global warming is occuring, or that it is significantly due to human activities. It's just that I see higher temperatures and more water syrface area leading to greater moisture content, and more WET storms. That makes sense to me.
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus...to be honest with you...Bill Maher said it on his show last night. Personally, I trust what he has to say because he's a big environmentalist and HE DOES HIS RESEARCH! He does NOT like conspiracy theories....he only likes the facts. I like the facts too....BUT I do not like to rule anything completely out. I think ANYTHING is possible.

I don't claim to know everything about the environment. I only have to go by....what I read and what I hear in documentaries and news that is shown on free speech networks and etc. I do know a lot however. I can say this because I have done many MANY hours of research covering many different aspects of the environment. Still I don't know everything. I have a lot to learn still. I learn something new about the environment everyday. I think this kind of approach and attitude about learning environmental issues is the best way to handle these issues...when discussing these kinds of things with people. We can learn a lot from each other! Rufus....I hope you feel that you can learn from others as well. It's good for people to open their minds to the possibilities. I'm sorry....maybe it's just me. Maybe only "artist" think in this "possible" way.

In any event....it's not good to live your life as if....there's NO WAY this or that can happen....because the bottom line is things are changing and YOU NEVER KNOW!

rufus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
Rufus...to be honest with you...Bill Maher said it on his show last night. Personally, I trust what he has to say because he's a big environmentalist and HE DOES HIS RESEARCH! He does NOT like conspiracy theories....he only likes the facts. I like the facts too....BUT I do not like to rule anything completely out. I think ANYTHING is possible.

I don't claim to know everything about the environment. I only have to go by....what I read and what I hear in documentaries and news that is shown on free speech networks and etc. I do know a lot however. I can say this because I have done many MANY hours of research covering many different aspects of the environment. Still I don't know everything. I have a lot to learn still. I learn something new about the environment everyday. I think this kind of approach and attitude about learning environmental issues is the best way to handle these issues...when discussing these kinds of things with people. We can learn a lot from each other! Rufus....I hope you feel that you can learn from others as well. It's good for people to open their minds to the possibilities. I'm sorry....maybe it's just me. Maybe only "artist" think in this "possible" way.

In any event....it's not good to live your life as if....there's NO WAY this or that can happen....because the bottom line is things are changing and YOU NEVER KNOW!

Bill's an interesting guy - and IMO - a good guy. I like his attitude for the most part. But he does occassionally go a bit over the top - just for emphasis. I tend to view what he has to say as like reading the bible (he would get a good chuckle out of the irony here). It is somewhat allegorical - there are some good lessons and perspectives to be gained, but it shouldn't always be taken as the 100% literal truth. Rather, there are some broader truths there to be discerned by the reader.
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you have to say and to know what your perspective is. It's interesting Rufus and yes you are right.

On the other hand....maybe to be scared out of our asses is exactly what we need to make big dramatic change in the way we live our lives today??

I don't know...

All I know is....there is a BETTER way to live and I choose to make that decision.

Very Happy

rufus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
I like what you have to say and to know what your perspective is. It's interesting Rufus and yes you are right.

On the other hand....maybe to be scared out of our asses is exactly what we need to make big dramatic change in the way we live our lives today??

I don't know...

All I know is....there is a BETTER way to live and I choose to make that decision.

Very Happy

Me too hun. Maybe it has something to do with living out here in the North country, but I've been "into green" since the early 70's when I was building solar collectors, and designing and buidling buildings with passive solar elements (glass walls and masonry heat wells/walls and so on.)
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY COOL!

AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.....check out this cool new music video:

http://www.wecansolveit.org/page/s/williamvideo

ENJOY...

Great song, great lyrics.

Very Happy

Poecilotheria_27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video and song for sure!

It gives me an idea for a drawing...

A government official ringing out the planet, destroying it, and money falling out of it like water with the half grin of greed and satisfaction on his face.
mt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufus wrote:
AlleyBaggett wrote:

I think that's a bit of an extreme scenario. The melting of the ice caps will be a seasonal phenomena. They will reappear again in the respective northern and southern winters, and recede in the summers. The difference between now and then is that they don't recede 100% now. They still grow and shrink seasonally. In addition, the "all burn up" result is not likely. There will be added moisture in the atmosphere and less land area. ( both due to a larger ocean surface area). What is more likey is a shifting of the climate zones northward (has already happened to some extent - see arborday.org for revised climate zone maps.) and a "march" of more tropical vegetation (trees, shrubs, flowers, grasses and so on) northward as well. Following along will be changes in habitual ranges of various fauna - birds and mammals. Different farming practices will be required. Different crops will be emphasized.

Not in all cases will the earth simply "dry up" or "burn up". In fact. there will even be places that become colder and wetter than they are now (due to more cloud cover for longer periods of time) while other places will be come greener - due to a warmer, more moist climate.

It's climate change - not climate armegeddon for most of the world. The biggest serious impact on human civilization though will be along coast lines. A great number of major population areas will need to move further inland - uphill. That is in fact, the most problematic part of the whole phenomena.

PS - it is blizzarding where I am at right now. This is also part of the global warming phenomena. In the years past in my life, up until the past decade or so, this late a snow fall would be very rare. More of the snow would have fallen in winter, not so much in Spring and Fall. The effect around here has been warmer, drier Winters, and cooler more moist Springs and Autumns. The climate that used to be typical for this part of the country has now shifted North about 200-300 miles toward Southern Canada. We see our typical population of birds here in Spring earlier, and some that I had never seen as a younger person have shifted both their winter and overall ranges northward.

If things continue to go the way they are, then losing the polar ice caps is plausible in 30 years. Don't know if you guys saw the Nova episode last week or so focused on the study of the ice packs around the world. It's a dose of hard reality knowing how much ice we've lost in the last 20 years.

Rufus, I agree that the warming trend will just move north. But what does that say about places like California or Florida that's in the temperate zones. The greatest threat of global warming is water, or lack of. AS the planet continues to bake, our supply of potable water decreases. Shorter winter means less snow which means less ice melts for our reservoir. Less water in the reservoirs means less water for cities like LA. Less water means less water for plant life. It wasn't too long ago that the great dust bowl showed what could happen if we stopped getting water in some form. We may actually see the "baking" of our neighborhoods.

Last night on Cousteau's ocean adventures, they did a story on the beluga whales of Canada and Alaska. Because the whales rely on the ice, the current state of the ice in the Arctic was mentioned. They said that the ice that normally covers the Arctic ocean will disappear in 3 years. The winters will get shorter and the northern Arctic shipping routes that are normally open for only a short time, will remain open longer throughout the year. More ships means more pollutants to contaminate the area.

I think at some point, accelerated warming of the planet will occur from the various events linked to each other. The 1-2 degrees increase in temperature accelerates the ice melt, the ice melt increases the flow of fresh water into the seas and oceans. The seas and ocean temperatures are affected by the warm air and fresh water causing the world currents to change, moving warm waters further north. The warm waters flowing north increases the temperatures around the Arctic and Antartic oceans. This in turn affects the air temperature and changes in air temperature affects the jet streams. Hurricanes get more frequent and more destructive. It becomes a downward spiral that we may never recover from.
mt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
I agree Rufus.

I think everyone should STOP doing what they are doing right now....and ask themselves...OK what do I consume a lot of (what am I always buying)? Is it baggies, cleaning products, hygiene products, paper plates, paper napkins or etc??? Then you must think of what you can do....to continue to live your life happily but not purchase these items over and over and over again. For example, buy fabric napkins instead of paper ones...purchase small little ceramic plates or bamboo wooden plates instead of purchasing paper plates...use glass/stainless steel containers instead of baggies...use basic DIY cleaning products instead of buying lots of different ones. If you need to use baggies...then don't purchase anymore instead save your old ones and wash them out and reuse them over and over. If you KNOW that consuming less now is better for you and the planet...then YOU MUST do it! I made all the changes that I did....because I felt guilty knowing what was right....and still not doing it. Before it was different because I did not know. Now that I know...I make sure to always do what I know is the right/better choice when making purchases. You might not think the of the BIG PICTURE of the real damage that plastic has on us. BUT the damage is bigger than you think. Did I ever share with you about the plastic beach in Hawaii?? On this beach...the sand is made of plastic particles. If I haven't shared this with you....let me know and I will give you the link to the story and the SAD video.

For everyone out there reading this... I challenge you to start up your own little local campaign. All you would have to do is...make copies of Forestchoice.com store page showing how much their pencils cost and give that page to every school's principal in your local areas. These pencils are FSC certified and cost the same amount as regular pencils. I guarantee you that if principles/teachers/parents knew of this earth friendly option....these businesses that are killing our forests would think about switching their business practice to a more earth friendly one. The thing is that people/businesses aren't aware of these Earth friendly options or they automatically think that the prices are TOO high so why bother looking? It is little things like this that CAN make big differences in how corporations handle their businesses. Also, I just found FSC certified copy paper that is 100% post consumer recycled and does not have chlorine bleach. This is THE BEST kind of copy paper you can find!!! I am buying some and selling reams to my friends and family...to make it convenient for them. Do you guys know the difference between being FSC certified and clear cutting but with re-planting (which happens only some of the time)? Using wood/paper that is FSC certified is SO SO SO important! If you are going to use bamboo, then it does not have to be FSC certified because it grows back super fast. Bamboo is actually the best type of wood to use for anything. It does not need pesticides of any kind. Bamboo is actually the best thing to use for fabric too. Second best is hemp. Third in line is organic cotton. It's SO crazy how every healthy aspect of living has been altered by using synthetic materials/foods. Synthetics is in our walls/carpets/drapes/furniture/insulation/clothes/mattresses/pillows/shoes/cars.....the list goes on and on. Of course some people use the better choices....but it really is impossible to live your life totally unexposed to these materials unless you completely start your life over with purchasing the better stuff and building your home from the ground up, the natural way.

I challenge all of you....to take action in your own lives and make the better choice when making any kind of purchase.

From now on ....all of my lingerie will be organic cotton or fabric that was reused from different garments to create sexy lingerie. I just bought some really SUPER sexy Earth friendly lingerie! Also, if I shoot at a hotel it will be at an ECO hotel. If I have to spend my money on these things....then I might as well spend it on the RIGHT CHOICE, right??

I hope I influence all of you....to stand up...take better care of yourselves and your loved ones and make the RIGHT CHOICE! NOW and ALWAYS.....

Where are you getting your recycled paper from?
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To MT and EVERYONE else who cares... Here is where you can purchase your 100% post consumer recycled copy paper made with paper waste, FSC certified and made without chlorine bleach.

https://www.echopaperstore.com

I bought a case which was $70 (10 reams of 500 sheets in each), each ream is $7. Not such a bad price for 500 sheets of the GOOD STUFF! I'm now selling reams to my friends and family who use paper (which is almost everyone). A good idea is to buy a case and do the same thing to your friends and family. Shipping is FREE with standard shipping!! Another good idea is to ask the company to send you brochures of their company and product so that you can pass them out to your place of business (work) and other establishments that you know of (schools/banks/libraries/any place of business-because every business has an office).

ALSO, in honor of Earth Day...I would like to give out 10 Crude Impact DVD's to anyone who would like one for FREE! Just send me $5 for shipping and handling and it's yours!! This particular DVD is a special edition with hours of extra footage/interviews.

One more thing I'd like to say is....I'M PISSED!!!!!!
I'm pissed because I'm finding out that there are SO many people that knew about all the toxins in our everyday products and household items....way back from the 70's. Why the hell didn't anyone tell me??? I feel like this is something new but it's NOT! Why didn't my parents tell me? Why didn't my school tell me? Why didn't my local city major tell me? Why was I not told from anyone at ALL??? I'm just now finding out about all this crap...and only because I had to figure it out on my own. Currently there are SO many kids, teenagers and young adults that are growing up and not knowing the truth about so many issues. I believe EVERY teenager in AMERICA should be aware of the better choices and why. it will be up to this next generation to help turn things around.....so why not educate them now...because this is reality....and there are better choices one can make.

Here's the story and video to that Hawaiian plastic beach I was telling you all about.

http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?S=7334574

People, you have TO STOP purchasing plastic ANYTHING! It's toxic...really and if you stop buying all of that packaged food stuff....you'll be forced to eat and cook healthy fresh veggies/fruits. (I know, what torture!) I've been cooking fresh veggies/fruits in meals lately made with veggies/fruits that i purchase from my local farmer's market. I only eat what they have for many reasons....one is....all of the veggies/fruits you see there are what is growing here locally/for our season/time of year.....which means it wasn't trucked in from a million miles away. For example: If my farmers market does not have blueberries right now...then I'm not eating blueberries right now. If they don't have pineapples right now....then I'm not going to eat pineapples right now. There are plenty of other fruits and veggies that I can eat instead or in the mean time.

Another thing that I've learned....is that once you live your life to be more aware and more environmentally friendly....you seem to really appreciate and take care of the environmentally friendly things ALOT more and you never look at it likes it's more work or what a chore or pain or anything because it makes you feel REALLY REALLY good to know that you are doing something that is REALLY good for your health and the planet. Before I used to always kill a plant....because I would forget about it and stop watering it or whatever and now I have several beautiful plants and I take REALLY good care of them. Before I would think cooking was a chore...to time consuming...and I only knew how to cook a few good things. Now, I'm excited to try out different natural fresh meals using healthy local fruits and veggies and it makes me feel SO good about it! I even have an herb garden now. I'm learning that it's the small little things that can make you feel SO good about yourself.....everything else in our society is so superficial. (you know like....brand names and who has more and such) Oh one more example is: when I first made my own natural antibacterial all purpose spray....I felt SO good about it.....that I immediately had to clean my entire house with the spray. It smelt SO good and I knew that I had just created something that was healthy to be around. I got the recipe from my Gorgeously Green book....so it's not something I just made up Smile

(This spray can be used on acrylic, ceramic tile, wood, marble, granite and mirrors)
Here's the recipe:
Gorgeously Green All-Purpose Natural Anti-Bacterial Spray

32- ounce plastic spray bottle
2 cups of water
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure castile soap (peppermint is my favorite)
3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
20 drops tea tree oil
20 drops of lemongrass essential oil

Simply fill a large 32 ounce plastic spray bottle with the water. Add the vinegar, castile soap, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, and lemongrass essential oil. Lavendar essential oil is great for the bathroom and lemongrass essential oil is great for the kitchen, so you can make two seperate bottles if you wish. If not....you can always choose your favorite essential oil to use instead of lemongrass or Lavendar. In the hot summer months, you can add about 10 drops of citronella essential oil to the spray, as it is an excellent insect repellent.

I gave this mixture in the nice spray bottles that you can get from Home Depot to my friends and family as Christmas presents along with the recipe for them to continue to make it themselves.

It's all about spreading the knowledge!

Sorry but I have to do this... But if any of you are thinking of purchasing Easter candy....please don't purchase anything with Palm Oil in the ingredients list.....because that is one of the causes of deforestation. It is mostly found in chocolate. Hersey's is one to look out for.

There are now bamboo Easter baskets and recycled greeting cards available at Cost Plus World Market.

Just a head's up...

I'll leave you with these videos of proof that are ice is melting faster than predicted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1C2RXkjd4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axsSexPoSR0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alley Baggett Forum -> AlleyBaggett.net Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6