FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
The World in 1895
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertWolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tattoos:

http://19thcentury.wordpress.com/2007/11/11/19th-century-tattoos/

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo_museum/history.html

– Bruce Lee
Kiala_Tiagra
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh those link help!
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=197025#197025
Evan_Himmel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, i think i might change my avi a bit by giveing Evan a tattoo on his right shoulder. I just need to think of what type to have on him, and wether to make it part of an RP or not.
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Hey Gang,

Another late 1800s question for you all. Wasn't 1898 the year of the World's Faire in Chicago or something?

And is there a generic world-timeline of 1898 posted anywhere, so I could just skim over what sorts of events were going on during that year. I swear that the San Fran fire happened in 1898, amongst other things.))
DesertWolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chicago World's Fair was in 1893 and the San Francisco fire was in 1906 as a result of of aftershocks from the massive earthquake as well as untrained firemen using dynamite to cause firebreaks.

– Bruce Lee
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Hey all, another 1896 question.

I know I should know this, but when was the US transcontinental railroad completed? And, wasn't 1896 the time that Germany / Italy actually unified?

Also, wasn't 1896 when Commodore Perry made his famous trip to Japan?

Lastly, I know that medical practice, as it is currently envisioned, started around this time. That is, the idea of cross-contamination between patients, and of cleaning tools and bandages and equipment... but... was there like an official time? For example, the AMA said that "all medical tools should be boiled in water for at least 10 minutes prior to use with the next patient" or something?))
Kiala_Tiagra
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a tick...I remember a bit about the cross contamination between patients

there was this founder in medical science. I forgot the name, but she was a woman I am sure....i think

I read about it when i was 10 years old...I forgot now
Talitha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem a silly question. But HOW do you tattoo fur?
Texas_Wildlife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talitha wrote:

Yeah I'd like to know the answer as well.
DesertWolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
((Hey all, another 1896 question.

I know I should know this, but when was the US transcontinental railroad completed? And, wasn't 1896 the time that Germany / Italy actually unified?

Also, wasn't 1896 when Commodore Perry made his famous trip to Japan?

Lastly, I know that medical practice, as it is currently envisioned, started around this time. That is, the idea of cross-contamination between patients, and of cleaning tools and bandages and equipment... but... was there like an official time? For example, the AMA said that "all medical tools should be boiled in water for at least 10 minutes prior to use with the next patient" or something?))

The railroad was completed on May 10th 1869.

Perry was in Japan in 1852-1853 but came back in 1854

from wiki: Modern medicine

Medicine was revolutionized in the 19th century and beyond by advances in chemistry and laboratory techniques and equipment, old ideas of infectious disease epidemiology were replaced with bacteriology and virology.

Bacteria and microorganisms were first observed with a microscope by Antonie van Leeuwenhoek in 1676, initiating the scientific field microbiology.[60]

Ignaz Semmelweis (1818-1865) in 1847 dramatically reduced the death rate of new mothers from childbed fever by the simple expedient of requiring physicians to clean their hands before attending to women in childbirth. His discovery pre-dated the germ theory of disease. However, his discoveries were not appreciated by his contemporaries and came into general use only with discoveries of British surgeon Joseph Lister, who in 1865 proved the principles of antisepsis in the treatment of wounds; However, medical conservatism on new breakthroughs in pre-existing science prevented them from being generally well received during the 19th century.

After Charles Darwin's 1859 publication of The Origin of Species, Gregor Mendel (1822-1884) published in 1865 his books on pea plants, which would be later known as Mendel's laws. Re-discovered at the turn of the century, they would form the basis of classical genetics. The 1953 discovery of the structure of DNA by Watson and Crick would open the door to molecular biology and modern genetics. During the late 19th century and the first part of the 20th century, several physicians, such as Nobel prize winner Alexis Carrel, supported eugenics, a theory first formulated in 1865 by Francis Galton. Eugenics was discredited as a science after the Nazis' experiments in World War II became known; however, compulsory sterilization programs continued to be used in modern countries (including the US, Sweden and Peru) until much later.

Semmelweis's work was supported by the discoveries made by Louis Pasteur. Linking microorganisms with disease, Pasteur brought about a revolution in medicine. He also invented with Claude Bernard (1813-1878) the process of pasteurization still in use today. His experiments confirmed the germ theory. Claude Bernard aimed at establishing scientific method in medicine; he published An Introduction to the Study of Experimental Medicine in 1865. Beside this, Pasteur, along with Robert Koch (who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1905), founded bacteriology. Koch was also famous for the discovery of the tubercle bacillus (1882) and the cholera bacillus (1883) and for his development of Koch's postulates.

The participation of women in medical care (beyond serving as midwives, sitters and cleaning women) was brought about by the likes of Florence Nightingale. These women showed a previously male dominated profession the elemental role of nursing in order to lessen the aggravation of patient mortality which resulted from lack of hygiene and nutrition. Nightingale set up the St Thomas hospital, post-Crimea, in 1852. Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910) became the first woman to formally study, and subsequently practice, medicine in the United States.

It was in this era that actual cures were developed for certain endemic infectious diseases. However the decline in many of the most lethal diseases was more due to improvements in public health and nutrition than to medicine. It was not until the 20th century that the application of the scientific method to medical research began to produce multiple important developments in medicine, with great advances in pharmacology and surgery.

During the 1910s, medicine was closely related to church in most of Europe including the United Kingdom. Most doctors took permission of the church before prescribing any medicine to patients. Before surguries, permission of the church was mandatory. During the First World War, Alexis Carrel and Henry Dakin developed the Carrel-Dakin method of treating wounds with an irrigation, Dakin's solution, a germicide which helped prevent gangrene.

The Great War spurred the usage of Roentgen's X-ray, and the electrocardiograph, for the monitoring of internal bodily functions. This was followed in the inter-war period by the development of the first anti-bacterial agents such as the sulpha antibiotics. The Second World War saw the introduction of widespread and effective antimicrobial therapy with the development and mass production of penicillin antibiotics, made possible by the pressures of the war and the collaboration of British scientists with the American pharmaceutical industry.

Lunatic asylums began to appear in the Industrial Era. Emil Kraepelin (1856-1926) introduced new medical categories of mental illness, which eventually came into psychiatric usage despite their basis in behavior rather than pathology or etiology.

– Bruce Lee
Talitha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunatic asylums/hospitals have been around for a very long time.
The most famous being The Bethlehem hospital in London, England.
It is a corruption of this name that give us the word "bedlum" meaning a wild uproar and confusion.
I am also sorry to say it was quite common up to the early part of the 19c for well to-do gentry to go these asylums and pay to watch the poor
souls in their torment, as entertainment. Shocked Mad
relentless

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have we really changed, the theatre may have changed but can you honestly say we do not still glean entertainment from watching other peoples suffering or hardship, hell we still like to put two people in a ring and have them beat the piss out of each other till one cant stand up
henkcobra
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take any time, any day but the war is still the same.

Everything and everyone is equal and will die by the other and the other by you.

My favorite RP please join and dominate me : http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6811&start=0

My FA; http://www.furaffinity.net/user/henkcobra/
AlainDaishar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

relentless wrote:
have we really changed, the theatre may have changed but can you honestly say we do not still glean entertainment from watching other peoples suffering or hardship, hell we still like to put two people in a ring and have them beat the piss out of each other till one cant stand up

The Difference now, Relentless, is that those two people have made the Choice to do so. They see it as a profession. But thats really the only difference. They still beat the crap out of each other, same as we have ever done.
The Adept
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talitha wrote:
Thats Easy what you got to do is wrap the area you want tatood then you take a sharp knife and cut the tape in the shape you want the tatoo. Then you Pull fur so it sticks out of the wrap. Then you Take some Bleach and Bleach the fur. When the fur is completly white you dry it off and apply the die. Let it Dry for a few hours remove the wrap and Tadaa Tatooed Fur.
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9549&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
My FA
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theadept/
furrynerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything about america(mainlky about kentucky) i need to know some info for my fursona

Ling/Lee:
http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13105&sid=14034a5e4aec94ff37884ea7194a8743
Hoshiginiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh so much to read and i only have one question ....did the rich people of the 1890's have running water in their homes? was that invented then or does that come later.....

and what about hot water heaters or in this case boilers?

CafePress
FurAffinity
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoshiginiro wrote:
gosh so much to read and i only have one question ....did the rich people of the 1890's have running water in their homes? was that invented then or does that come later.....

Fresh water was piped in to the homes of both the wealthy and middle classes at this time and gas powered 'Geysers' were also available. In the major cities public water pumps were to be found at the apex of several streets and these were used by the poor though by the beginning of WWI these too had been replaced with piped water direct to the home.
That said for many a hot bath still consisted of a large tin tub with water being boiled on a wood/coal range (oven) with the same bath water being used by several if not all the family in turn. Urk! crazy yuk blink
Terminus: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239198#239198

We are grey. We stand between the star and the candle.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/brigwyn/
Hoshiginiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tearlach wrote:
Hoshiginiro wrote:

Fresh water was piped in to the homes of both the wealthy and middle classes at this time and gas powered 'Geysers' were also available. In the major cities public water pumps were to be found at the apex of several streets and these were used by the poor though by the beginning of WWI these too had been replaced with piped water direct to the home.
That said for many a hot bath still consisted of a large tin tub with water being boiled on a wood/coal range (oven) with the same bath water being used by several if not all the family in turn. Urk! crazy yuk blink
thank you ^_^

CafePress
FurAffinity
Avrie000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ... Ok, let me expand on Hoshiginiro's question.

I guess I'm asking for clarification after reading through all 7 pages of this thread so far ... and a consensus would be welcome. It's 1895 and PBB is to say the least a forward thinking society. Can I assume for the purposes of fleshing out my fursona that the town does have.....

1) Running water (crudely filtered and pumped directly from the river "upstream" most probably)

2) Public sewer system (which unfortunately was returned to the river "downstream" with no treatment)

3) Gas piped to the homes

4) Hydro-electric generated electricity was available to industry and the wealthy but not generally distributed yet

5) Steam power was at it's zenith

Please let me know if I can at least count on the above.

I'm sure it seams obvious to some but it's not to me, and with PBB having such a rich history itself. (I've honestly tried to catch-up but after reading through hundreds of pages of posts without even making it to the RPGs I've narrowed my "education" down a bit Wink I'm just trying to cover the basics so I can design my fursona's clinic.

Thanks
kommy
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assumptions are... mostly correct. The exception being electricity is being generated with steam turbines in addition to water. Dams are big infrastructure projects and topography dependent, not to mention having to deal with the resultant flooding and altered river flow that might get you in trouble with neighbors. Most power generators stick to steam turbines fired by burning coal.

As for water supply, it depends wildly on how much has been invested in it. The know how and ability to make good quality municipal water exists and the benefits of doing so are widely recognized. But again, it's a big infrastructure investment. Since Bon Bon is in or near the Alps, it very likely doesn't require much of one. Snow and glacier melt water is pretty clear and very low on pathogens. I'd give it a try unfiltered, though would prefer to filter or boil it to make sure.
Avrie000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kommy, I just had to look that up and of course professor you're absolutely right ... the "Forth Banks Power Station" was the first commercial use of Charles Algernon Parson's turbine dynamo in 1890 which spun at an amazing 1800 RPM. He later went on to build a turbine powered boat called the "Turbinia" which he unveiled at Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1897. That won him a commission to retro fit a royal navy destroyer with turbine engines. I thought the turbine engine came much later on; it just goes to show ... it's the steam age not the stone age Wink

That actually simplifies things. But also requires a follow up question; If you don't mind.

Was steam ever distributed to residencies by pipe as they did with gas? I know it was done regularly in industry.

I just want to know whether Avrie would purchase steam in town for the clinic, or have to build and manage his own boilers?
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be more likely is that such a building would have a coal-fired steam generator.

Avrie000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right ... But I'm just to lazy to be shoveling coal all day ... I think I'll invent a gas boiler seeing as we have gas laid on and Avrie's a hydrological engineer... Somehow I'll make all the pieces fit Wink
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Hey,

I have an odd sort of 1890s question. Food / meals. What sorts of foods / foodstuffs did people eat in the late 1890s? For example, would poached eggs, toast, butter, and jam be a norm? Or a meat-pie? What about something "exotic" like sourdough pretzels or such? What about foods we consider "famous" like Cracker Jacks or Hot dogs?

What constituted things you might find in someone's pantry or cupboard?

What sorts of things did people drink? Coffee? Tea? Milk? I know water didn't really become popular till much later, but what about beer, or grog, or table-wine or something?))
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potatos were a staple of both rich and poor alike, as was bread( though not sliced and packaged as it is today). Meat like roasts, beef and chicken would be beyond the price rage of the poor on a regular basis( only at christmas if they were very lucky) You could try to take out a copy of " Mrs Beeton's cook book from the library or on line.
You may wish to check out this BBC series " What the Victorians did for us"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr1oPqKVRpU&feature=related

Kiala_Tiagra
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh food....since i am training as a chef would be nice to try some victorian cooking when i got time
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jellied eels, welks and winkles. But best of all SOME ONE OPEN a pie and mash shop please.
A staple of Victorian London and some other British cities, the pie and mash shop was a fantastic place. I was fortunate enough to visit one in my youth. A large-ish shop with a glass front and inside the walls were covered in white tiles and wooden benches along one of the walls and the back of the shop. Along the other wall stood the counter from which the food was served.
On the counter stacks of plates which were topped up from the sink as the meals were served. Not much of a choice, you stood in line and a pie ( meat not identified, and it was best not to ask) was slammed down on to the plate a very large dollop of mash followed along with a similar amount of mushy peas and then the whole lot covered in dark brown gravy making the plate and its contents look like an archipelago. Along with a hot tin mug of tea it really made a cold rainy day in mid-winter seem not half bad. Very Happy

Kiala_Tiagra
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow....
Eechironin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adept wrote:
Talitha wrote:
Thats Easy what you got to do is wrap the area you want tatood then you take a sharp knife and cut the tape in the shape you want the tatoo. Then you Pull fur so it sticks out of the wrap. Then you Take some Bleach and Bleach the fur. When the fur is completly white you dry it off and apply the die. Let it Dry for a few hours remove the wrap and Tadaa Tatooed Fur.

Will the hair folical pick up the dye from a tattoo?
If so, a permanent mark is created, although ti will be fainter then the above method.

OTOH, damage to hair roots can cause loss of pigmentation.
Jay Leno had a scar on his forehead that give him a white streak in his hair.

"That which is denied becomes that which is most desired, and that which is hidden becomes that which is most interesting. Consequently, a great deal of time and energy is spent trying to get at what is being kept from you."-John Denver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9