FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Religion in Bon Bon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashton Gray
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Religion in Bon Bon Reply with quote

A thought occurred to me late last night, or rather early this morning: Religion in Bon Bon, is there such a beast? (No offense meant, just an expression) I can't imagine many religions or religious types taking very kind to this town and it's inhabitants so I must pause and wonder the religious state of Bon Bon, if there is one. Note (and a rather important note in my opinion): I have a somewhat unique veiw on religion, many if not all of them, though I am not religious, meaning I do not follow a religion.
Drake_Skyflyer
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake is not 'religious' so to speak nor do I follow a religion myself either. But I now wonder that too, however drake follows a belife of a goddess *whos statue is in his backyard or back garden of his mannor* and her saying is what my quote is. I would say more but need to cut short so i'm not late to class.

Ta
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could at least find some off-shot sort of cult in dedication to Aphrodite or various other deities of beauty, body, and such.

I can't recall who or what they were called, but there was a group that focused on sex. They beleived that when you climaxed, that was the closest you could get to Nirvana while still physical and mortal.

Though, on the note of religion. I'm sure a confidential and discreet town such as BonBon is a good hiding place for religious figures who can't fight off physical temptation, and to help get it out of their system. Wink
Ashton Gray
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remark on "a group that focused on sex" brings to mind the Da Vinci Code (the movie, I've yet to read the book) and the Priory of Scion it more or less revolves around.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it would go without saying that most Christian faiths frown upon many of the vices seen in a town like BonBon. I suppose if the town remained well-hidden enough and perhaps had a few friends in the right places (remember, Simon Blue is very, VERY rich), there would be very little incident between the town's "working girls" and the Church. Enough healthy donations to churches in neighboring villages may just sway people to turn a blind eye...

It would be interesting to know if there are any convents near BonBon, a place where former "working girls" go to when they've had enough of the hedonism of BonBon and prefer a more spiritually-focused "retirement". I'm sure there'd be at least some place nearby that has experience with troubled souls wanding back from BonBon, without judgement or persecution.

As for my character, he's ambivalent toward religion... His parents, who were both taught English and reading and writing through Catholic missions, raised him with a combination of Christian and traditional Native American beliefs. But once he was forced into the boarding school as a youth, he pretty much had Christianity forced upon him (often through physical beatings by overzealous teachers trying to "save his heathen soul"), leaving him view religion a little less positively. That being said, he still tends to respect most devotees of the spirtual world, be they a Christian preacher in a small western town or a medicine man of a Native American religion.

Johnny's backstory
Johnny, Mark II (Project Aten character)
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashton Gray wrote:
Your remark on "a group that focused on sex" brings to mind the Da Vinci Code (the movie, I've yet to read the book) and the Priory of Scion it more or less revolves around.

Ah ha. You hit the nail right on the head Ashton. I believe that is where I heard it.
kommy
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I think a convent or monastary could be a huge relief from a life filled with vice and work. Contemplating more than simply the most base of concerns could be an immeasureable luxury. Simplicity is an oft overlooked virtue, it seems.
Vanessa
Official Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Bon Bon's universe every race can choose the religion that it prefers, I always imagined Simon as a christian, since Mary should get married in a sort of ceremony with a priest... maybe not in a church, but in a pretty garden outdoors, the way they do in America (I'd love to get married outside myself). Fundamentally PBB's religion is based on ethics and reciprocal respect, I think that to coexist peacefully should be easier for animals than for men! The animals are less evil than mankind is!

Speaking of which, I'd like to remind you that in PBB there are anthropomorphic omnivorous and vegetarian animals and , as you saw with the horses (Drake and the coach horses) there are animals with a double or even triple nature (a third being digitigrade or taur). Some species have both anthropomorphic and non-sentient animals, some of which are: equines, swines, bovines, birds and fishes (meaning creatures with hooves or other things in place of paws). If we want to think that PBB's species "evolved" into anthropomorphic animals, it was surely easier to develop hands for animals that have paws with toes than for others that have hooves or flippers. In fact, Drake has hands but no feet. He made it by a hair (or maybe a hoof), else we'd have seen him pulling a carriage Laughing !

http://www.pleasurebonbon.com
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explaining furries in scientific terms is always, well, a crap-shoot. Like does an anthropomorphic chicken eating KFC consider itself a cannibal? I'm reminded of another furry webcomic called "Fur Will Fly", where one of the earliest strips tackled that same issue... In that world, non-sentient animals and their anthropomorphic counterparts both exist in the same world, and apparently there is little difference in the "usage" of non-anthro animals in an anthro-animal society. Yes, that means furry characters eat meat, and in fact one cat anthro character owns several pet cats...

Vanessa wrote:
Some species have both anthropomorphic and non-sentient animals, some of which are: equines, swines, bovines, birds and fishes (meaning creatures with hooves or other things in place of paws). If we want to think that PBB's species "evolved" into anthropomorphic animals, it was surely easier to develop hands for animals that have paws with toes than for others that have hooves or flippers.

I like the way you worded that... it is probably best just to set boundaries based on what's easiest to draw. Wink Animals with anatomy at least more closely resembling humans' seems like the logical choice... and yet I rarely ever find a furry fan on other sites with a monkey or ape fursona! You'd think that'd be the most obvious choice...

Johnny's backstory
Johnny, Mark II (Project Aten character)
Drake_Skyflyer
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, me pulling a carrage hm? well I could be a 'taxie' and pull a small buggy by myself Razz But I guess i did make it by a hoove as you say. Very Happy
LabrnMystic
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a D20 game (D&D, RPG, and the like for all of you non-gamers out there) called "After the Bomb" in which the world is divided, the remaining human populace and all the animals and insects that live in the world. A combination of genetics, radiation, and the aftermath of a worldwide nuclear war, we end up with a wide variety of creatures. Anthromorphic, "giant" versions of creatures, half-breeds, and even creatures so far evolved that they are human with only the tiniest hint of their original nature, such as a human with cat eyes.

It deals with everything from how morphed your character is, what human traits you have, and how feral or refined you are. Its probably the best source I've ever read that would be the closest to "if it were to really happen."
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of religion, it isn't impossible to consider that there may even be a Christian church in Bon Bon. It would depend mostly on which specific faith and on who's in charge of it. Since Bon Bon prides itself on anonymity, among other things, some of the citizens/tourists may even go on Sundays to find a form of absolution from their "indulgence in carnal sin" or perhaps just for their own piece of mind. Who knows?

And as to Labrn's mention of role-playing games featuring anthropomorphic animals as the staple of the playable races, "Worldtree" (I don't remember the publisher) is a fantasy based one and "Mutants in Orbit" (by Palladium Games) is a sci-fi one.
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake_Skyflyer wrote:
Hmmm, me pulling a carrage hm? well I could be a 'taxie' and pull a small buggy by myself Razz But I guess i did make it by a hoove as you say. Very Happy

Maybe a rickshaw? Smile
Ashton Gray
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that would make Sakura happy, a little touch of home in a far off land is never a bad idea. Of course, some people say "Never say never."
Martin
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashton Gray wrote:
I'm sure that would make Sakura happy, a little touch of home in a far off land is never a bad idea. Of course, some people say "Never say never."

Err... Ashton, Rickshaws are chinese. I'm not sure how much Sakura would find them familiar... Confused
Ashton Gray
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's what I get for trying to be clever at 3:00 am, still, I was always under the impression they were Japanese anyway so I'll just end this with "Live and learn, thank you for correcting me, Martin."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PleasureBonBon Forum -> PleasureBonBon.com Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1