FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
bad comicbook movies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: bad comicbook movies Reply with quote

Has anybody seen Van Helsing yet?

I just want to give you the warning- read the movie reviews first! Or watch it at matinee price or student discount if you can get one. Smile

It was disappointing... The movie was pretty- great effects- but the dialogue and development could use more work.... the ending was terribly cheesy.

I heard Punisher sucked too.

http://www.eadultcomics.com/ - for the best in online erotic adult comics
http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
hollow

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: That tavern must not see much business. Reply with quote

That's what I'd heard to. I had a really bad feeling about Van Helsing after seeing the trailer a couple of times. Particularly on the line (writing from memory): "He's done what no one's been able to in five hundred years: kill a vampire. I'd say that's earned him a drink."

Bleah. Ptui ptui ptui. That line made my brain ache. And if that's the best dialogue they could find for the trailer... Ugh. Maybe I'm just getting old. Everything about VH feels like it's engineered for young guys. Cool costumes, mind-blowing but artificial-looking visuals... With the Punisher, it's roughly the same thing. It has elements you'll have a hard time getting into if you're over 25.

Ah well. We still had Hellboy, and Kill Bill 2. And Spiderman 2's coming up... I always liked Alfred Molina.
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Hellboy Reply with quote

Hellboy was 'alright' not terribly bad.
Haven't seen KillBill.

Hopefully they don't screw up SpiderMan2. I must say the first movie was pretty good.
I'm still trying to get over the disappointment of Matrix sequels sucking..... And most sequels usually suck.

The Batman Begins pictures are out! Check out the funky batmobile:
http://www.batmanbegins.com/

http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Kill Bill Reply with quote

The second part of Kill Bill was awesome. Tarantino is one of my favorites, and there was a lot more dialogue and characterization than in the first part. Lots of twists and turns along the way. There's a neat speech from David Carradine near the end about comic books that fans will appreciate (which comes from Tarantino being a fan of the genre). It was violent and vulgar, as are all of his flicks, but that's life...

Looking forward to Bubba HoTep on DVD in a few weeks -
http://www.bubbahotep.com

-Jeff

JusticeBabes.com Support Staff
HSHP

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Batmobile Reply with quote

Not liking it. Looks too much like the Bat-Tank from Miller's "Legends Of The Dark Knight". Batmobile's supposed to be a car.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Cats and Bats Reply with quote

From what I've heard, the Catwoman movie is supposed to stink on ice. I don't mind Halle Berry, but she's not playing Selina Kyle, and the costume looks stupid. Michelle Phiffer pulled it off great in Batman Returns, IMHO, but I don't get what they're doing with the character in the movie.

-Jeff

JusticeBabes.com Support Staff
HSHP

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Speaking of comic book movies. Reply with quote

Frank Miller is a god, so I hope this doesn't tank.

Sin City.

Coming to theaters 2005.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

Also, The Punisher didn't suck, but it wasn't anything ground breaking. Kind of cliche.
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Catwoman? Reply with quote

I think they're just cashing in on the comicbook craze.... It doesn't seem to tie into anything batman... and it's just a lame story (in my opinion)...

I was hoping it was Ashley Judd... There was a rumor of her being catwoman. guess not...

And man- why Storm?? Couldn't they get a different actress... I mean we can't be running out of chicks for super heroine roles.....

Wildcard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
From what I've heard, the Catwoman movie is supposed to stink on ice. I don't mind Halle Berry, but she's not playing Selina Kyle, and the costume looks stupid. Michelle Phiffer pulled it off great in Batman Returns, IMHO, but I don't get what they're doing with the character in the movie.

I don't get the reason for making that movie. I'm a huge Catwoman fan, and used to collect the comic until DC went and ruined the hell out of it, but I refuse to pay money to see this pitiful rendition of Catwoman that seems to just be a showcase for Halle Barry's gymnastic skills.

For the most part I loved Michelle Phiffer as Catwoman, but they should have dyed her hair black to better suit the part of Selina Kyle.

FLAWLESS 3 Of A Kind!
Dave T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just decided to join this movie forum...

When I was in Japan recently, I saw a really fun movie called Steamboy. It's a new animated sci-fi adventure from the guy who did Akira (which is why I've added it into the comic book movie thread), although it's aimed more at kids than Akira was.

It's set in Victorian London, only with lots of weird and wonderful gizmos like steam tanks and airships and, at one point, a whole chunk of London takes off and floats away. A young boy has to stop this revolutionary new type of steam engine from falling into the hands of this crazed inventor. The plot's fairly simple, but it looks amazing and is genuinely exciting during the action sequences.

The bad news is that I don't know if and when the rest of the world will ever get to see it. Sad
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave T wrote:
When I was in Japan recently, I saw a really fun movie called Steamboy. It's a new animated sci-fi adventure from the guy who did Akira (which is why I've added it into the comic book movie thread), although it's aimed more at kids than Akira was.

The bad news is that I don't know if and when the rest of the world will ever get to see it. Sad

Sounds like a cool movie. there's probably a ton of Japanese flicks that aren't in the US. Or Italian flicks even...

My all time favorite movie is Cinema Paradiso. It's a subtitle movie. (Italian) I first saw it on HBO. Would be nice to see more Animated movies besides the Disney ones....

That Titan A.E. movie was pretty good. Was great to hear Drew Barry more doing voices..

Dave T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Would be nice to see more Animated movies besides the Disney ones....

I had kinda hoped that when Spirited Away won the Oscar for Best Animated movie that it would help open the gates to more foreign stuff in the UK (I'm in London, incidentally) and the US. We had a trickle, but the flood I'd been anticipating never arrived.

A couple of things I would recommend:

Millennium Actress: a Japanese anime that uses the life story of an ageing actress to present a whilrwind history of Japanese cinema. These two guys go to film an interview with the actress and, in the course of telling her life story, all three of them jump around in time from one film genre to another. So part of the movie is a samurai epic, part of it is a wartime melodrama, part of it is a Godzilla movie etc etc. It's quite possibly the most imaginative movie of any type that I've seen for years and I think it has recently come out on dvd in the US.

The Triplets of Belleville: a wacky French/Belgian cartoon about a cyclist in the Tour de France who gets kidnapped by gangsters and how his granny and a very stupid dog set out to rescue him. And no language problems: there's virtually no dialogue.

My Beautiful Girl Mari: don't know why more people don't know about this South Korean cartoon as it is absolutely beautiful. A young boy finds a doorway into another dimension and falls in love with young girl. The story is slight, but the visuals are astonishing and it's really quite moving. I don't think it's come out in either the US or UK, unfortunately (I got a Korean dvd online - fine if you have a multi-region dvd player; most Asian discs have English subtitles).

Dave T
roxstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we've kinda drfted from comic book to animation, anyone else seen Ninjai?
I love it. It rocks.
http://www.ninjai.com/
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxstar wrote:
as we've kinda drfted from comic book to animation, anyone else seen Ninjai?
I love it. It rocks.
http://www.ninjai.com/

Yup. seen most of the chapters a long time ago. Funny shit...

roxstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been waiting about a year for the last two chapters though, which will complete the 12 in volume one.
they'd better be good....
HSHP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the movie would be any good, but it wouldn't be bad casting.

Brad Pitt's bio on IMDB.com wrote:
He is "in talks" to portray Marvel superhero Captain America, a role he says he has wanted to play for a long time. [Early 2004]

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny. They (all these actors/actresses) claim they've always wanted to play a role as a comic book hero....

Super Heroes Hollywood hype.

Dave T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought Pitt would have wanted to play The Mighty Thor.

After all, he does kinda look a bit like the Jack Kirby rendition of Thor, dontcha think?

Okay everyone singalong with me: "Cross the rainbow bridge to Asgard!"

Hmmm, maybe not...
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the latest one out "Catwoman" with Halle Berry?

Personally, I'm not crazy about Hollywood superhero/heroine movies, but that's just me, except I admit I did see "Dick Tracy" years ago with Warren Beatty and Madonna (and Madonna wasn't too bad in it - but then again Breathless Mahoney is almost like playing herself, but in a different era - How could she go wrong? Rolling Eyes ).

Rich

P.S.

Does Dick Tracy count for this thread topic? He wasn't a superhero, but was actually a comic strip character.
Dave T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can't understand about Catwoman is that the guy who directed it, Pitof, made a movie a couple of years ago in France called Vidoq that was absolutely fantastic.

Although it wasn't based on a comic book per se, it looked and behaved exactly like you'd want a comic book adaptation to do.

But it seems like Warner Bros hired Pitof because they wanted Catwoman to be like Vidoq, then forced the guy into so many compromises that he couldn't make the film he wanted to.

Dave T
Dave T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you seen Constantine yet?

Does it suck?

I heard Alan Moore took his name off the credits...?

Dave T
HSHP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave T wrote:
Any of you seen Constantine yet?

Does it suck?

I heard Alan Moore took his name off the credits...?

Dave T

I'm seeing it tomorrow (Sunday) evening. I'll let you know. So far, just from the trailers/commercials, the only problem I have is that Keanu isn't a blond-haired Brit. Which is really the only problem I can have because I never read Hellraiser.
Dave T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSHP wrote:
I'm seeing it tomorrow (Sunday) evening. I'll let you know. So far, just from the trailers/commercials, the only problem I have is that Keanu isn't a blond-haired Brit. Which is really the only problem I can have because I never read Hellraiser.

The main problem I have is that Keanu can't act... LOL

I'll look forward to your report.

Dave
HSHP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave T wrote:
The main problem I have is that Keanu can't act... LOL

I'll look forward to your report.

Dave

Well, the question isn't whether or not he can act but, rather can he act well?. And that answer depends on the movie. Not that he needed to act very well in this movie.

Personally, I thought it was a great movie. The acting was a little weak, however, but that doesn't really hurt this movie. If the acting was bad, then that would've hurt the movie. Though I didn't even know Gavin Rossdale could act. I'd have to equate Keanu's perfomance to his Neo in "Matrix", just more gruff and pissed off.

Since I never read the comics, I don't know how close the adaptation is, but I'd bet any money it's about as close as any comic book movie has come so far. I can't wait to see the FF movie.

I'd recommend this movie to anyone who likes action movies and isn't deeply religious. 7.5 out of 10, I think.
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was curious about Constantine myself....

Glad to know you thought it was decent enough to watch....

I stopped relying on these movie critics or reviewers out there for movie info. Most of the people who review movies are not the targetted audience for the made movie.

There has been so many times, when the reviews were bad, but the movies was actually good/enjoyable.

I thought the movie Paycheck was good...or decent. Planet of the Apes (remake) was very good too.

It's better to hear the reviews from actual fans who gives a hoot, rather then those paid reviewers.

Has anybody else seen Constantine besides HSHP here?

-R

Dave T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean.

I watched Catwoman recently and it was nowhere near as bad as the reviewers said it was. It wasn't a classic, but certainly watchable. Same goes for Chronicles of Riddick. I think with Catwoman most critics were more interested in trying to be clever and making jokes about 'kitty litter' than they were in actually reviewing the movie.

Then you get a movie like Something's Gotta Give and all the reviewers were falling over themselves to say how good it was. And it was really shallow and annoying and unfunny.

Dave T
HSHP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave T wrote:
Then you get a movie like Something's Gotta Give and all the reviewers were falling over themselves to say how good it was. And it was really shallow and annoying and unfunny.

Hadn't seen Catwoman, never really wanted to. Loved Something's Gotta Give, but I agree with you on the reviewers. All this hoopla around Napoleon Dynamite, and I didn't really care for it. Or, everyone claiming There's Something About Mary is one of the best comedies ever, and I think it's pure crap. That's why I never listen to reviews any more. If anything, the bad ones just make me like the movie more, but the good ones just get my hopes up and then crash them hard.
mt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw it today. I thought it was pretty good. Better that star wars: clone war.
HSHP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned. "The Watchmen" comes to theaters next year.

http://www.watchmenmovie.com/
HSHP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this one too. Ghost Rider's coming soon. Though I'm a little wary of Nicolas Cage as Johnny Blaze. Bike looks kick-ass, however.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=2834
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2