FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Assigned Reading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Assigned Reading Reply with quote

Another topic got me to think about this... do any of you own books that you've never read, or perhaps know a commonly read book that you've never read yourself?

Example: I'm often surprised when people tell me they've never read books like To Kill a Mockingbird or Brave New World, yet I've never read Catcher in the Rye, even though it's apparently one of those books that people often read in highschool English classes. I even have a copy that magically appeared on my bookshelf (I think an old roommate may have left it behind). Anyone else have similar "must read" books left on their shelves?

Johnny's backstory
Johnny, Mark II (Project Aten character)
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I haven't read any of the above. I tended to infuriate my English teachers by replacing the assigned reading with something else entirely. My essay on Arthur C. Clark's space trilogy actually got me an A. Laughing
kommy
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, I have never read either Catcher in the Rye or Brave New World. But then, for all the centuries long controversy over it, I'm still shocked how few people have read On the Origin of Species. For a book long science text, it's a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read that's stood the test of time.

I have no unread books on my shelves. I don't own many literary classics, though. Most are scholarly texts or more popular fiction. Though I do have Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera, and Frankenstein. The last is rather near and dear to my heart.[/i]
HSHP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never read 'World' or 'Rye' myself. 'Mockingbird', on the other hand, is my favorite book. I don't know which classics I could list, though there are tons I'm sure, but the Harry Potter books and LotR are all currently collecting dust in my collection (read 'The Hobbit' though).
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started reading 'Brave New World' now. JohnnyPsycho, you're right. It is a good book. A little disturbing, but good.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never read all the way through LotR myself... I think I only managed to finish Fellowship of the Ring when i was about 12...

I just thought of another book I haven't read that's often assigned reading in schools: Animal Farm by George Orwell. I remember seeing the live-action film that came out in the late 90's, but never actually got around to reading the book itself. Then again, by the time I was in highschool, the Soviet Union had already collapsed, so I suppose a book satirizing Stalinist Soviet Russia would seem a bit dated by then...

Johnny's backstory
MrWolf12
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I'm more into reading the works of Shakespeare. The Comedy of Errors and The Tempest among my favorites. When it comes to modern works, a favorite book is The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Also, for ones who like horror, the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley I highly recommend!!
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
I just thought of another book I haven't read that's often assigned reading in schools: Animal Farm by George Orwell. I remember seeing the live-action film that came out in the late 90's, but never actually got around to reading the book itself. Then again, by the time I was in highschool, the Soviet Union had already collapsed, so I suppose a book satirizing Stalinist Soviet Russia would seem a bit dated by then...

It was a surprisingly good read for me, though the basic concept has always disturbed be a little. I dunno, it's just a little creepy.

But, truth be told, I'm more of a Science Fiction fan myself. Wells, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, all the greats of course. I've also found Stephen Baxter, David Brin and David Drake to be excellent authors.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not often that schools assign sci-fi in their classrooms, unfortunately. That's probably why I liked Brave New World so much.

It's also why I loved my World History and Sociology classes in high school, because the teacher was a huge Trekkie, and he even showed us episodes of Star Trek for a couple of lessons...

Johnny's backstory
HSHP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
It's not often that schools assign sci-fi in their classrooms, unfortunately. That's probably why I liked Brave New World so much.

It's also why I loved my World History and Sociology classes in high school, because the teacher was a huge Trekkie, and he even showed us episodes of Star Trek for a couple of lessons...

Like I said, I never read 'World', but I did see the TV movie. Anyway, one of my high school English classes (sophmore year I think) assigned us 'Ender's Game'. Bad-ass sci-fi book. It is rare, but the genre does slip in once in a while.
Nightwolf
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Brave New World back in high school. Though I forget parts of it, I do remember liking the story. I'm also kind of a sci-fi nut myself. I love Star Trek TNG and Voyager, but I'm not a trekkie I don't think. Laughing

Homer's The Odyssey was pretty cool too.
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to gear myself up to reading Shogun. That'll take me a while, I fear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1