FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Superman Returns Discussion...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Superman Returns Discussion... Reply with quote

What did you guys think of the movie?

Being a big Superman fan, I went to see it 12am opening night showing... It was packed, sold out showing... Luckily I got the Fandango tix.

I enjoyed it and recommend seeing it. Thinking of watching it again on iMax3D.

A couple of things that kind of bothered me... (possible spoilers and very superman specific details)

1. It ignored everything after the 2nd movie...
such as Martha Kent being alive still... she was suppose to be dead by the 3rd movie...

2. What was odd is the inconsistency in the location of Metropolis. Now in Smallville (TVShow), the town Smallville (where Superman is from) is located in Kansas (mid-west of the country). This means metropolis is suppose to be around there. In the movie, they made it seem like Metropolis was New York...

3. So Superman got his "Crystals" stolen from him... And he wants them back, but they never resolved what happened to the Crystals at the end. Wasn't the whole point of the disaster or crisis was in getting them back. Was there a "main green crystal" that created all the other crystals? Shouldn't his fortress have better security... ah well...

4. So Superman goes off to Krypton to looking for his home world.... Now, how is he gonna do that without a space suit? Aside from flying out there in a Crystal constructed spaceship that supposely has a way of supporting him... But what about popping out of the ship? I mean he's no longer "super" if he flies away from our Sun. So how does he manage to scope around out in space? Any view screens in his space ship?

The movie was still fun and uplifting to see... Seeing Superman back again was refreshing... And the actors were great.... Kevin Stacey definitely did a great job playing Lex Luthor! And Brandon Routh did a truely fantastic job playing both roles Clark Kent and Superman.

I hope to see a sequel someday.... It'll be interesting to see what they do next....

What are your thoughts?

http://www.eadultcomics.com/ - for the best in online erotic adult comics
http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed the new Superman as well, and have become more impressed with the way Hollywood has been creating movies based on comic book media. As for what Ronald was talking about, I have a couple of things to add...

As for the location of Metropolis and Smallville, it should be noted that Smallville was never "officially" placed in Kansas until the Superman movies in the 1970s and 80s. Before then, its location varied in many of the comic books, and in fact Smallville was often placed very close to Metropolis, Gotham, and even Midvale (setting of the original Supergirl comics). The show Smallville also places the town very close to Metropolis, which, since Metropolis is normally portrayed as a large city along the ocean, would make Smallville's placement in Kansas impossible (as far as the TV show is concerned). It's likely the director was referencing the comic books more than the previous movies, so it shouldn't automatically be a given that Smallville exists in Kansas...

(yes, i am a big nerd for knowing all this)

I also found the whole Crystal thing bothersome. I mean, are we just assuming the crystals were thrown into space along with the small sub-continent that Superman tossed into the void? My guess is it's a plot device for a possible sequel.

I've never been as much of a Superman fan as a fan of other superheroes. I always thought Batman and Spiderman were more interesting characters. Even as a kid I was more likely to be seen trying to tear a T-shirt off my chest in imitation of the Hulk instead of wearing a makeshift cape and trying to fly. But still, there is something about Superman that, even to a jaded comic-book nerd like myself, I find comforting. He's the ideal, the original superhero, and it's good to see him reborn and put into new focus like in this movie. They stuck to the original mythos, didn't try to update his image or throw on any superfluous toys of gadgets. It's Supes the way he's meant to be.

Johnny's backstory
Johnny, Mark II (Project Aten character)
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
I also found the whole Crystal thing bothersome. I mean, are we just assuming the crystals were thrown into space along with the small sub-continent that Superman tossed into the void? My guess is it's a plot device for a possible sequel.

Yeah- possibly...

I had to sort of comfort myself to think that Superman after he got better went to look for it? Or Superman has to assume Lex still has them in his possession. It obviously can't just fall off into the ocean again otherwise, it'll just create more continents.

In any case tho the Crystals can just be grown again from the original single green one that started it all (from the first movie).

What I would like to see them do is introduce Brianiac into the movies as a villian.

http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
HSHP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the green crystal effectively made useless during (ugh) Superman 4 when it made him healthy again? As for Metropolis, how's this for trivia? Everyone always assumes that Metropolis was based on New York City, when (I hope I'm remembering correctly) it is actually based off of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Gotham is based of New York City. Anyway, I thought Superman Returns was a really good movie and Brandon Routh did a really great job as Clark/Superman. Spacy was freaking awesome (finally a superhero movie where they don't kill off the villian!). Kate Bosworth was only a decent Lois though. And I love the fact that they used the original John Williams score. 4 of 5 stars from me.
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSHP wrote:
Wasn't the green crystal effectively made useless during (ugh) Superman 4 when it made him healthy again?

The current movie ignores Movie#3 and Movie#4. So I don't know.

I don't think they ever killed off the villians in any of the superman movies (well Major villians anyways). They just put them to Jail. Zod was handcuffed and taken away in #2 I think. (can't remember)

(In #3, I think they got fried in that one.)

HSHP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
HSHP wrote:
Wasn't the green crystal effectively made useless during (ugh) Superman 4 when it made him healthy again?

The current movie ignores Movie#3 and Movie#4. So I don't know.

I don't think they ever killed off the villians in any of the superman movies (well Major villians anyways). They just put them to Jail. Zod was handcuffed and taken away in #2 I think. (can't remember)

(In #3, I think they got fried in that one.)

Well, I meant most modern superhero movies. I mean, Batman would never kill or let someone die yet all his villians (except Riddler) died until that crappy "Batman and Robin". It was the only thing I didn't like about "Begins". Or Spidey 2. Why kill off Doc Ock?
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSHP wrote:
Well, I meant most modern superhero movies. I mean, Batman would never kill or let someone die yet all his villians (except Riddler) died until that crappy "Batman and Robin". It was the only thing I didn't like about "Begins". Or Spidey 2. Why kill off Doc Ock?

Yeah- I hear ya... They do tend to seem to kill off alot of villians in the movies... Though we all know in comic book universe nobody really dies. If they wanted to revive somebody they'll do it. Or revamp the movie, like they did with Batman Begins and the next movie bring back the Joker (retelling the story differently)...

Oh it was announced a few days ago that Batman sequel will be called "Dark Knight" (2008 release). Too bad they didn't pick Robin William as the Joker. I was reading somewhere that Robin really wanted to play the part and they were considering him. I hope they also bring in Harley Quinn. And hopefully, she is going to be some hot actress. That'll make up for the no Robin William.

HSHP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
HSHP wrote:

Yeah- I hear ya... They do tend to seem to kill off alot of villians in the movies... Though we all know in comic book universe nobody really dies. If they wanted to revive somebody they'll do it. Or revamp the movie, like they did with Batman Begins and the next movie bring back the Joker (retelling the story differently)...

Oh it was announced a few days ago that Batman sequel will be called "Dark Knight" (2008 release). Too bad they didn't pick Robin William as the Joker. I was reading somewhere that Robin really wanted to play the part and they were considering him. I hope they also bring in Harley Quinn. And hopefully, she is going to be some hot actress. That'll make up for the no Robin William.

Well, I'm sure they would've wanted to go with Robin Williams, as would everyone else, but it made sense that they wanted someone about the same age as Batman since he and the Joker are about the same age. Hopefully Hayden Christiansen will be able to actually know his character better than he did Anakin.

As for the "no one dies in comic books", it also used to be that "Only Bucky stays dead". Now I haven't bought comic books in years but I did flip through a current Captian America (I really wanted to get the Civil War series) and noticed THEY BROUGHT BACK THE ORIGINAL BUCKY!!!!! WTF!? *sigh* I hate it when they mess with things way too much.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the SECOND Robin, Jason Todd, died for good too...

and as for the next Batman film, have you heard? They got pretty boy (and "Brokeback Mountain" lead) Heath Ledger to play the Joker!! Shocked

I honestly don't know how to react... surprised? Definitely. Offended? Slightly.

Of all the villains in Batman's Gallery of Rogues, the Joker is by far my favorite simply because of how absolutely unhinged the character is. He's brilliant and absolutely deranged, and he deserves to be portrayed by an actor capable of such madness.

I REALLY hope Ledger doesn't destroy the Joker for me. I don't know if I can watch him in the Joker face-paint without subconsciously thinking about "Knight's Tale"... *sigh*

Johnny's backstory
Johnny, Mark II (Project Aten character)
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody think they'll ever do a WonderWoman movie or SuperGirl?

They should do a remake on these.... Every other comic book char seems to be getting a remake.

HSHP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Does anybody think they'll ever do a WonderWoman movie or SuperGirl?

They should do a remake on these.... Every other comic book char seems to be getting a remake.

Last I heard, Joss Whedon was still in control of a possible Wonder Woman movie.

Anyone got any ideas about who should play WW or Supergirl? Personally, I think getting no-names has worked best so far.
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- probably no names would be best....

There are alot of hot actresses no names popping up in movies from time to time...

There was that one girl I remember from Planet of the Apes that would be hot for any role...

Then again the chick from Species (Natasha) could be a fit for a super girl role.

I saw some outer limit episodes titled Valerie 23 and Mary 25... Her name is Sofia Shinas. I think she'd be a good WonderWoman... big knockers. Smile

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
As for the location of Metropolis and Smallville, it should be noted that Smallville was never "officially" placed in Kansas until the Superman movies in the 1970s and 80s. Before then, its location varied in many of the comic books, and in fact Smallville was often placed very close to Metropolis, Gotham, and even Midvale (setting of the original Supergirl comics). The show Smallville also places the town very close to Metropolis, which, since Metropolis is normally portrayed as a large city along the ocean, would make Smallville's placement in Kansas impossible (as far as the TV show is concerned). It's likely the director was referencing the comic books more than the previous movies, so it shouldn't automatically be a given that Smallville exists in Kansas...

(yes, i am a big nerd for knowing all this)

I picked up similar info from Wikipedia... Which by the way, I'm fasinated by how Wikipedia has becoming more and more useful and informative. I find myself using that site regularly for references on things I've already know and forgotten. Or just doing general research for knowledge or confirmation on info read elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallville

In anycase, I hope wikipedia doesnt get over run by spam or cluttered advertisement. Advertisement isn't a bad thing as it does pay the bills, but when it starts to get in the way boggling down usefulness, it sucks.

"In Smallville, on a clear day Metropolis is visible from the town. This seemingly insignficant fact is interesting to note since Metropolis is depicted as a city on the ocean with shipping ports. Therefore, it is geographically impossible for Smallville or Metropolis to be in Kansas."

I guess we're gonna have to depart from reality and pretend that Kansas is located near a body of water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1