FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
COH- City of Heroes - Not as fun anymore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: COH- City of Heroes - Not as fun anymore Reply with quote

Well- it's as much as I had feared... The novelty of the game went away... I think I've only played the game for about a month and a half....

I stopped playing a while back since I had to do the Comic-Con show... Took advantage of all the power leveling stuff tho.... The game is boring if you don't power level up to good powers....

For the most part-- the game is tediously boring! All you do is kill kill kill. The NPC or quests could be a bit more interesting... The world is a static map setup with dungeons to be like Quake/Doom.

It lacks accumulation and stuff to show off to others. The inventory and items in the game are very finite and limited.... Powerup enhancements for your enhancement slots... And Inspirations are like potions for healing and recovery- that's about it.

Unlike other games- you can make stuff. You would think that being a technology origin- you can make gadgets to use... Or gadgets to sell to other heroes that could use it.

The game is great to get into- But over time it lacks depth. And it lacks long term replaybility. (once you tried out all the character classes, you stop to realize. the game has a limit and is repetitive.)

Btw- My character is level 46 now... With the help of friends and super groups to powerlevel the character.

The game needs more then just kill kill kill.

Cant' wait to see what World of Warcraft has in store for us.

-R

http://www.eadultcomics.com/ - for the best in online erotic adult comics
http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still been playing, but it's definitely become a level grinder, with diminishing rewards the higher you go. They've got some interesting things coming up, and after City of Villains is released next year, I think they'll have a new dynamic as player vs. player enters the game. One of the main themes is to not have loot and crafting like other games, and they're supposed to have a new non-combat way of gaining experience added very soon. The game has a pretty strong following, and I think a year from now they'll have a good mix of content for all levels. Right now, the first ten are the funnest, because you're getting new powers and making progress you can see. The higher levels are really lacking rewards and ioncentive to keep playing. None of the people from my initial friends list are ever on anymore. Either they've left, or they're playing alts and didn't forward me the names.

I downloaded the World of Warcraft Stress Test beta from File Planet yesterday, so I'm hoping for my first taste of that as soon as the seven day test starts. It'll probably be full of massive lag, as this is not being run on the current closed Beta servers, but another set to see if they can get large numbers of people to log in. The download was about 2.5 gigs last night, and I had to wait in File Planets line for a few hours, but I've got it installed now, and am waiting for the account information once they start the test. It didn't cost me anything, and I figure a slow beta test is better than not getting a peek at all. Even getting to play with character creation should be fun.

I'm going to keep City of Heroes for the future, but I have high hopes that World of Warcraft will be the uber-game I've been waiting for.

-Jeff

JusticeBabes.com Support Staff
Martin
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is just something I read on a gaming board, but apparently the next update will give quite a boost to the obtainable stuff... and, IMHO, to the interest. The elements that were given the highest importance were the Epic Powers (i.e. powersets like the ones owned by Green Lantern and other world-shaking heroes), unlocked by getting to the 50th level and doing a special mission, and three new weapon sets: Bow, Spear and Shield.
Captain America anyone? Very Happy
Plus, they're gonna add new elements to the look (like, say, wings... There was one, on the board, that planned on adding wings to a non-flying hero just for the satisfaction of being asked constantly "why aren't you flying?")
Sure, it's not much, but it still sounds like fun.
Will it rekindle the interest in people who gave up the game? quien sabe.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they said wings will be a seperate archtype, as they'd have to create animations for every move if they added them. Winged will probably be some type of flyer from the start.

They have capes and power effects coming with Issue 2 (which should be on the test server Monday or Tuesday). I finally get my flaming hair! They're adding a few new mid-level areas, and hinting that there will be big server-wide events happening very soon. Already, they've added new costume slots at level 20, 30 and 40, and now we can get capes at 20 and particle effects at 30. There may be special capes that you can aquire to give you fighting bonuses down the road, too. We're also getting badges on our ID cards for finishing missions, and some badges will give you extra bonuses, like more hit points or endurance. Some folks are whining that they're creating loot, which they said they wouldn't do, but I need to have a carrot dangling in front of me to keep me interested. I have no problem with loot!

With City of Villains, you'll get your own super-group base, with an enhancement vault, which you can customize, and consentual player vs player action. Actual super-villains controlled by players and not AI!

They have a long way to go, but they're a success, so I think they'll be around for a while, and it'll be interesting to see what the game evolves into.

-Jeff

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Virtue server has some of the most active players, who find things to do with the environment that the designers never expected. There's a pretty good community on there, and they have lots of player events, like these two I went to over the weekend -

The Hero Beach Party, at Spanky's Boardwalk on Talos Island -

A bunch of players made custom swimsuits for the event, and The Cape Radio DJ's showed up and played requests on Internet radio (www.cohchat.com). Even JoBot managed to find a swimsuit. Props to Ms. Independence for high heels on the beach!

And last night, there was a foot race atop the crane tracks in Independance Port, as part of the Hero Olympics -

Players can often make an online world, and COH has got a good core group going.

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting stuff going on with COH.... If you use COH as a chat room and group hang out-- I guess it is not so bad.... For the cost of $15 a month- to virtually dress up and hang out.....

I think alot of these people are coming from Sims Online as well.

As I have ran into a few of them who say they just like to hang out and chat with people.... (And that they were from Sims online.)

If this is the case- they should expand on the community/chat system.
Possibly have options for enabling/disabling IM popup like windows within the game instead of having to always type tell to each person individually... that was what i found annoying was having multiple tells going on at the same time.. having separate chat windows for each person might not be as bad.... or have options of say no more then X windows.... and everybody else falls into the regular chat tell box.

-R

http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
King Snarf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After City of Villains, they should make City of Sidekicks! Now, everyone who's ever wanted to play as Jimmy Olsen can!
Martin
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much time, I was finally able to log on to City of Heroes and play to my heart's content: and, I must say, as of now it's just SWEET! I don't know how much it'll take to become dull, but as of now it's sweet.
Moreover, working as a team feels cool... having your buddies cover your back, or holding the enemies for them to beat on, feels just right. Mind you, teaming with someone who just leaps off and lets you do most of the work sucks... But they're the exception, not the rule.
Guess this is one of the more attractive bits... being a hero in a sociable way.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a bug that they haven't worked out of the game since update 2 - villains in missions that dissapear into walls and leave you unable to complete the task. I'm taking a bit of a break until they fix this, as I was on a roll with the new xp boost missions were giving.

Martin, what server are you on?

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
I ran into a bug that they haven't worked out of the game since update 2 - villains in missions that dissapear into walls and leave you unable to complete the task.

Actually that happened to me a few times. Just put out a message (in the game) to the gamemaster. I was amazed at how quickly it took the game master to pop into my mission and ask me what my problem was and where the monster that is stuck... was a weird feeling chatting to a "GOD" sort of.... and he the game master said get ready... And the monster popped out of the ceiling.

So if this happens, just ping a game master.

The last game company i worked at had 24/7 game masters / help desk folks monitoring these types of problems for MMORPG.

-R

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a petition when it happened, but it was late night, and I didn't get a resonse until about 11:30 the next morning. I've heard of them finishing missions for players, but you have to be online when they get to you. I see it's a pretty common bug now from the message boards.

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
I sent a petition when it happened, but it was late night, and I didn't get a resonse until about 11:30 the next morning. I've heard of them finishing missions for players, but you have to be online when they get to you. I see it's a pretty common bug now from the message boards.

I guess they must have been swamped.

Martin
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, I'm on Liberty...
If you want to look for me, look for
Dodging Ace (Scrapper 8th), mustached redhead in blue with a D on the chest;
Titanium Rook (Tanker 2nd), gigantic knight with a mace;
Autogunner (Blaster 2nd), blonde girl in a red leather suit and bandoleers;
Snowstorm King (Controller 6th), guy with azure-blue coveralls and long white hair and beard;
and Particle Lass (Defender 5th), cute aquamarine-skinned girl with a red bodysuit with a skirt and an atom symbol...
Yes, I have one character per type Very Happy
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Snarf wrote:
After City of Villains, they should make City of Sidekicks! Now, everyone who's ever wanted to play as Jimmy Olsen can!

How about City of Thugs.... Now everybody can be a hired thug! Do the dirty work for the big evil crime lords.

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally given up on COH for a while. They had a bug with missions, and I had to do the same one over and over. Racked up a bunch of debt, finally went up a level, got a new power, and it sucks. The higher level content just isn't worth all the grinding to get to it. I've got a cape, visual effects, tons of badges, but there's not really anything to look forward to.

I'll come back to it in a few months and see what they do to add to things, but I just picked up Sims2 to hold me over for a bit unti WOW goes into open beta. I've been tempted to try Star Wars Galaxies while I wait, but I didn't like the radial-menu crap when I tried it during beta. I also considered Lineage 2, but heard some bad things about it, such as too many user exploits going on. I had WOW for 10 days during the stress test, and I really miss it!

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends and I have looked at other online gaming alternatives... Like Everquest. Or Starwars.

But I think it's going to be best to wait til World of Warcraft to come out.

If they had Earth and Beyond still... I think I would go back to that just to play around with their trading and making new items skill class.

Oh well...

Is FreeLancer any good? Has anybody played that?

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freelancer was awesome. The flight system works really well with a mouse. E&B is gone, but did you ever try EVE online? I looked at it, but never could tell if it was something good or not.

I find I really like the online stuff, but I don't think SWG is for me. I want to be a Jedi in that universe, not a basket weaver, and I don't have months and months to put into it. Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast were great for that, although they were single player. Everquest and Ultima have engines that are just too outdated. I don't care about PVP, so some of the other games don't appeal to me. I'd try EQ2, but WOW will be out at the same time, and Blizzard has never let me down.

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
I'd try EQ2, but WOW will be out at the same time, and Blizzard has never let me down.

Yes. Blizzard has never let me down either. I'm still playing WarCraft3. Got it the day it came out too.

I really hope they make StarCraft2 using a similar engine as WC3. And then of course the next big thing will probably be World of StarCraft. Smile

Since they're doing Ghost. I think the next project will probably be Diablo after WoW. That's my guess.

BUT if they want big money from the Koreans. StarCraft2 is the best and most logical choice.

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dabbled in WarCraft, but I really wanted World of Diablo. D2 was one of my all-time faves!

WOW has an artistic look to it that not everyone apreciates, but it's nice to see something with style instead of going for all-out realism. It's like being in a cartoon.

-Jeff

Martin
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about City of Thugs.... Now everybody can be a hired thug! Do the dirty work for the big evil crime lords.

That's how City of Villains works, Ronald... You start as a petty criminal and work your way up to costumed menace level! Very Happy
thefatman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i stopped playing COH about a month ago. gave my account to a friend. I'm gonna miss my 38lvl (i think) & 24 lvl blasters.

And don't have any urge to play that game... Can't wait till WoW or starcraft II. Smile

EAdultComics.com Support Staff
HSHP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special DVD edition coming out with some new stuff and the first two expansions included.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1